Stalling near dock

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
Ryan
Tin star

Re: Stalling near dock

Post by Ryan »

I changed spark plugs and wires and found a sea foam product specifically designed as a internal carb cleaner. Then ran it quite a bit this weekend and had no problems. Even at cold start up it idled great without even reving the motors!
1986 32' Sedan
Chrysler 360's
Cleveland, Ohio
yooper
Aluminum Star

Post by yooper »

My port engine has to idle at 1000 to stay lit. Last year I had it down to 750 after working over the distributor. I will recheck the timing.

I notice that some of the members recommend shooting carb cleaner down the throat as a quick and easy fix. I went on line and one of the youtube posters said to spray it into the float bowl vent. That makes more sense to me (if that vent is open on a marine carb) because I want to clean out the idle and fuel delivery passages. What do you guys think?
TinLizzy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by TinLizzy »

Shooting carb cleaner down the throats only cleans the carb throttle and choke plates and maybe a little of the inside of the intake. I shut the fuel valve off to run carb dry, then drizzle some sea foam into the vent until it dribbles out into the intake.
Rodney
1975 28 Express-Twin 350 Chevy's, SOLD
1990 32 Express--Twin Mercruiser 454 with Bravo I outdrives
Portage Canal Waterway-Upper Peninsula,Lake Superior
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

If all else fails, look at the voltage the ballast resistor is receiving at idle speed. On one of mine (with a one wire alternator) it was so low the spark was not enough to fire the plugs.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
OldSchool
New poster

Post by OldSchool »

Try adjusting the Carbs first. If you are like me they were adjusted back in the spring when air and raw water is much cooler. With the heat we have now in the Ohio Valley the Carbs are running a little lean. Try to richening up the idle screws(two on the carb) 1 half turn each and pick up the idle speed at the linkage, again about 1 half turn. Good Luck, PS i have to do this every year with my boat.
1979 Marinette 32 ft Hardtop Express
Old School
Louisville, KY
yooper
Aluminum Star

Post by yooper »

Spent some time in the engine hold working on port. Trying to get idle down a couple of hundred rpm. Checked advance it was about 2 1/2 degrees BTDC. Reset to 5 degrees. Runs stronger curve is fine. Turned off gas ran it dry then sprayed carb cleaner into primary vent ran it through. Misted water on spark plug wires. No Arching. Runs 1000 without stalling out of gear. 800-900 is iffy. runs about 800-850 in gear. Hate to be shifting at 1000. My 1/2 tank gas is two year premium ethanol free. I will reset the idle mixture screws when I get back.

Starboard shifts fine at 700-750 but it coughs at lower rpm until it heats up. Also tends to run cooler than Port. I guess I should go through all the above stuff every year after launch on each engine.

What is a good coil for the original 1988 318'?. I might like one a little hotter.
bpboater
Tin star

Post by bpboater »

The tachs on the Marinettes are often inaccurate. Borrow an optical tachometer (reads reflective tape put on engine crankshaft pulley) and calibrate your tachs. My tach reads 1000, when in reality the engines are turning 800 rpm.
1988 41 Marinette
Twin Crusader 454-350 hp closed cooling
Westerbeke 8.5 kw BTG
Lake Cumberland, KY
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Ditto both of mine. Been shifting them at '1,000 rms' for years without a problem.

Jeff

PS: It's DAMN hard to get a good idle mixture setting in a boat! I've learned to do it in gear, with the boat tied to the dock (so it doesn't move and trick you). Even still, it takes me at least 10 minutes of diddle away--and often a stall or two--before I get 'em right.
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
tundrarules
Aluminum Star

Post by tundrarules »

The Perfect idle is set using a vacuum guage. Max vacuum is perfect idle setting.

Two year old gas is very low octane. You need to mix in high octane or better yet, pump that junk out :cry:
1985 29 Sedan
Edelbrock 1409 carbs
Mallory distributors
Pertronix Flame-Thrower coil & wires
780 hrs/eng
TN River, MM 213.8

:mrgreen: