1st Post from a New Member

Things that are of general interest.
Shakemsam
New poster

1st Post from a New Member

Post by Shakemsam »

Hello all, Not an owner yet, but hoping to have my first Big M within the year. Currently running a 24' Crestliner, and want to go bigger without giving up the economy of aluminum. Before the end of the month, I am looking at (2) 28' Express HT's...an 83 and an 85. Are there any differences between the hulls? Differences in materials...or design in electrical, plumbing, window tracks,etc. Any info would really be appreciated! I would also like opinions concerning single vs twins. The 83 has original 318's with extremely low hours while the 85 has a US Marine 350 single. I would like opinions concerning power, handling, and maintenance. Thanks to every one.
Maestro
Aluminum Star

Re: 1st Post from a New Member

Post by Maestro »

I'm no seasoned veteran but this is what I have learned from my time on the site so far:

The actual hull shape/design of an '83 vs. an '85 are probably identical.

Others will probably agree that it's hard to comment on electrical, plumbing, window tracks, and the like since there are often times many changes made by previous owners, etc.

Single engine Marinettes can be tricky to dock. There is little control in reverse compared to a boat with an outboard or sterndrive. I am now confident with mine in good conditions but wind and current still mess me up. DiverDennis put a stern thruster on his 28' single and apparently it works extremely well and makes docking much easier.

The positives of a single engine are slightly less weight therefore slightly better gas mileage. Obviously also one less engine to winterize, change oil, etc.

Benefits of twin engines - slightly easier to dock but still takes practice. More power equals a bit more speed, and if one dies you can still make it home.

If you are going to be trailering, the twin engine boat will be heavier.

The twin engine boat will need a few more anodes than the single but nothing that's going to break the bank.

I have enjoyed the challenge of learning how to dock my single engine. The sense of accomplishment is somewhat like learning to drive stick vs. automatic. Almost anyone can learn how to do it, but most just never bother to learn.
Maestro
1986 32' Sedan
Chrysler 360s
1.5:1 Gears, 16x16 props

1970 28' Express
Single Chrysler 440
1:1 Gear, 14x12 prop

Green Bay, WI
GB49
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by GB49 »

83 and 85 hull designs are the same.

Sometime in late 1985 Marinette changed the shape of the cabin sides from the "fin" or partial elliptical to slant diagonal. I've seen 1985 models with both the older side and the newer sides.
I think at that time they also changed from plastic window tracks to anodized Aluminum tracks. A year or so later they began using black anodized window tracks.
Around this time you may also find the lower helms are more refined (this may apply only to lower helms on sedans).

Sometime in late 1987 Chrysler engines began using the center dump manifolds and the engine controls changed design. I've seen 1987 models with both log and center manifold and both types of controls.

Plumbing and electrical are the same as far as I know.

-karl
1986 Sedan 32'. Twin Chrysler 360in^3, 275hp.
Forum member since 1998.
Shakemsam
New poster

Post by Shakemsam »

Thanks guys. Really appreciate the help.
Cabinfever
Tin star

Post by Cabinfever »

Love the fuel mileage on my single 318. It's not very fast but it's nice to only have to maintain one engine. One of my future projects are a set of trim tabs. Singles are easy to control in calm conditions, after you know what to expect (practice somewhere away from anyone or anything), they turn to port in reverse. I trailer mine and if the wind blows and you miss you had better have planned ahead on how you are going to correct it, an example being, park your trailer to the far left of other boaters launching, if you have to back off you won't run into them when your turning to port in reverse, (and no, this has never happened to me). I've never had a twin, but if I had the option I think I would still choose the single (although I do wish mine was a big block). A stern thruster is in the near future for me also, front and rear thrusters would be awesome, you could turn around within your own length then. You can never stop improving a boat.
Joe
1977 28 Express
Single 318
(RESTORATION IS ALL THE ROUTINE MATIANANCE AT ONCE)
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Trim tabs will help a lot. My buddy added them to his 28 footer and was really pleased.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Trim tabs will help a lot. My buddy added them to his 28 footer and was really pleased.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Cabinfever
Tin star

Post by Cabinfever »

Fastjeff wrote:Trim tabs will help a lot. My buddy added them to his 28 footer and was really pleased.

Jeff
Shakemsam, I hate to but in on your post but maybe this will help you make your decision also.

Jeff,
What size tabs are on your buddies boat?

What kind of performance gains can be expected, speed, economy, ride, or all of the above? Don't go out of your way but, you got any numbers? :idea: :idea:

Thanks
Joe
1977 28 Express
Single 318
(RESTORATION IS ALL THE ROUTINE MATIANANCE AT ONCE)
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

He "borrowed" the whole deal off another 28 Marinette, so...stock. Said it made a huge difference in planning off and gas mileage.

Jeff
Rivetman
Tin star

Post by Rivetman »

MY preference and comment for numbers of engines is twofold: 1. I like a single for economy(operating and maintenance) and the fact that I plan on being on fresh water and not offshore somewhere...therefore 2. There are usually lots of other boaters around for an easy tow to shore.
If I was on a coastline, I'd seriously consider twins for overall safety. Just my thoughts. Best of luck and hope to see you aboard soon.
1973 28FB Express "Whisper" on the hard @ Tucker Engineered Lumberyard Yaght Club and Reggae Bar...I dream of H2O, not gravel!