Chrysler Electronic ignition woes......

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
ericinga
Aluminum Star

Chrysler Electronic ignition woes......

Post by ericinga »

So, it's the unexpected components that fail.

Warming the boat up this morning, I noticed a slight misfire in the engine. I checked a few things and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Coil voltage was correct, coil primary and secondary resistance was normal, plenty of voltage to the ECM, resistor was fine, no broken or shorted wires, etc., etc. It was a regularly repeating misfire at low RPM but became less frequent above 2,000 RPM. It didn't feel like fuel.

After two hours of checking the ignition system, I took a flyer and grabbed the reluctor under the rotor and turned it. Sure enough, it spun on the distributor shaft. One of pins holding the reluctor in place was loose in the key way. I happened to have a spare in the parts bin and replaced it. Problem solved.

After this last episode with the Chrysler electronic ignition system, I am definitely replacing it with something less complicated. There is always something going wrong with it. Parts may be cheap but time is precious. Unfortunately, I have now replaced every component in the system and nothing else should go wrong.

Eric
Eric Spies
1989 32 SDFB
Twin 318s
Lake Lanier, GA
Marinette Boat
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Re: Chrysler Electronic ignition woes......

Post by Fastjeff »

..." I have now replaced every component in the system and nothing else should go wrong."

go wrong go wrong go wrong go wrong go wrong go wrong go wrong go wrong go wrong go wrong....

I sure hope not!

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
pfhlaw
New poster

Post by pfhlaw »

I replaced my port and starboard mopar electronic ignition systems with GM HEI electronic systems and it made a huge difference.
I upgraded to 12 volt coils and opened the spark plug gap to .045 and they start quicker and idle smoother.
Here is a writeup: http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/MoparHEIConversion.htm

P.S. They still use the reluctor wheel in the distributor.
Attachments
HEI Conversion.jpg
NIMBUS II
1981 32' sedan bridge
New Buffalo, MI
yooper
Aluminum Star

Post by yooper »

I got extra reluctor sets from EBAY. Those little pins are tricky and easy to lose. I got spares at Fastenal and promptly lost them. I am committed to the prestolites cause I know how to replace the springs and free up the weights. When I replace them it has to be an entirely electronic system with no mechanical advance. MSD make them for cars but I am not sure they are marine rated.
ericinga
Aluminum Star

Post by ericinga »

The PO left me two recultors and three pin sets. The pins are set with blue loctite.

I called MSD tech support about their electronic ignition system. They do make a marine compatible system for the Chrysler small block (I can find the number if you want it). However, I believe it requires their electronic ignition module to accompany the distributor. Entire system was over $500 (I think).

There was a local guy that replaced his prestolite distributors with complete Petronix distributors. He gave me the old distributors that looked brand new. I plan to get one more season out of the Chrysler system and then convert to Petronix or a GM HEI system. With the two distributors, I can play around a little bit. Might try one of each and still have a total cost under $200.

Eric
Eric Spies
1989 32 SDFB
Twin 318s
Lake Lanier, GA
Marinette Boat
ericinga
Aluminum Star

Post by ericinga »

The MSD distributor is #8534. It does require the MSD ignition control unit. The entire kit is $600.
Eric Spies
1989 32 SDFB
Twin 318s
Lake Lanier, GA
Marinette Boat
Trowerpower
Aluminum Star

Post by Trowerpower »

Eric,

Thanks!

Experiencing a misfire and loosing rpm and stalling. I have a hot battery. Started up my port LM 318 the next day and at the dock it seems to run okay.like you said,time is precious! I do plan to tune both engines real good but new ignition systems are in my future. It's not bad fuel cause the starboard motor is fine.

Greg
Trower Power
1987 32ft Marinette Sedan Flybridge
Blue Sky
twin 392 Chrysler Stroker Motors
Performance Distributors
750 Edlebrocks
fresh water cooled
1.5 to 1 velva-drives
Onan 6.5kw gen set
Trowerpower
Aluminum Star

Post by Trowerpower »

Eric,

I just ordered two distributors with the coil mounted on top of the distributor from Performance Distributor ( Davis Unified Ignition) for my LM 318's. I should have them in two to three weeks. They are $385 each. They build them specifically for the engines they go in. I will do a follow up post after they are installed.
Trower Power
Blue Sky
Performance Distributors
750 Edlebrocks
fresh water cooled
1.5 to 1 velva-drives
Onan 6.5kw gen set
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

"...Experiencing a misfire and losing rpm and stalling..."You don't say exactly when this is happening but if it's happening while you are trying to cruise, one little bugger often causing this is the little filter (CG-11) where the fuel line enters the carb.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Trowerpower
Aluminum Star

Post by Trowerpower »

Joel, thanks I will check them out. While cruising down the lake I set the rpm with the synchronizer and the port engine started loosing rpm and finally stalled while trying to dock. She did restart reluctently .Started her up Sunday afternoon just before we went home and she fired right up of course, with no load. I truly hope that is all it is, that little fuel filter. Regardless, I wanted to pull the chrysler ignition systems for better technology systems on the market today. Thanks for the tip! Since we bought her we have been changing the perko fuel filters at winterize time. I will post what we did.
Trower Power
Blue Sky
Performance Distributors
750 Edlebrocks
fresh water cooled
1.5 to 1 velva-drives
Onan 6.5kw gen set