Sliding cabin screens

Fresh & Waste Water Systems, Climate Control, etc.
Supersport18
Tin star

Sliding cabin screens

Post by Supersport18 »

Does anyone know where I can get new sliding screens for my 32 FB sedan. Or have any used ones in good condition they would want to sell? Rollers on my starboard screen are shot.
1986 Sedan Flybridge
Twin 318 closed loop
" Little Martha"
Traverse City,Mi
Hydraulic Steering (both helms)
Autopilot (both helms)
yooper
Aluminum Star

Re: Sliding cabin screens

Post by yooper »

Most towns have specialty screen door and window stores that can repair or make those sliders, Mine would not adjust. The frames were OK and you are going to lose the screening when they take them apart to dig out the rollers. They had a problem finding the right rollers but it was their problem. My place was reasonable so they get all my screen work. It is just not worth my time messing with them. If your frames are OK the fix will be easy.
Supersport18
Tin star

Post by Supersport18 »

Thanks Yooper! I had thought that they might be a specialty item. Frames are in great condition, just the roller assemblies are junk. Do you know where they purchased the rollers? Or can you PM the shop you used?
1986 Sedan Flybridge
Twin 318 closed loop
" Little Martha"
Traverse City,Mi
Autopilot (both helms)
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bill »

:idea: Home Depot and Lowes both carry the rollers.
Bill
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
Toucan
New poster

Post by Toucan »

Hi, I have a 26' from 1967 and the screen frames are in good shape, I just can't figure out how to get them out to rescreen them. Any ideas? I don't want to destroy the frames and there has to be a better way than disassembling the windows. Help
Supersport18
Tin star

Post by Supersport18 »

There should be an adjuster on the bottom of the screen. Turn it to take the tension off the roller,then pop the screen off.
1986 Sedan Flybridge
Twin 318 closed loop
" Little Martha"
Traverse City,Mi
Autopilot (both helms)
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bill »

If you are talking SIDE screens. :roll: They are held in by the three grooved track. Most are plastic and some are aluminum. :o The lower track can be removed by carefully removing :oops: the lower flat head screws that are holding it in place. :roll: When you remove the lower track be careful because the screen plus the two panes of glass will come out. :?
:idea: Two people are better. :mrgreen:
bill

ps When you get a minute how about adding a signature to your posts. :?:
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
Toucan
New poster

Post by Toucan »

thanks yall, removing the bottom track worked but was problematic as someone before me put it in with 3M 5200. Ron/ Toucan
tundrarules
Aluminum Star

Post by tundrarules »

Bought mine at Ace Hardware. Mine are normal screen rollers. Like Bill said., Home Depot or Lowes stock them also. Let us know the outcome.

:mrgreen:
1985 29 Sedan
Edelbrock 1409 carbs
Mallory distributors
Pertronix Flame-Thrower coil & wires
780 hrs/eng
TN River, MM 213.8

:mrgreen:
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

This thread got a little confusing because two guys were talking about two different screens, the ones on the windows and the large ones on rollers protecting the rear cabin doors. For the cabin door rollers, I could not find a replacement at Home Depot or Lowes and finally located them at Blaine's Windows (look them up online). Luckily, one of their repair locations is in my area, so they replaced everything quickly and pretty cheaply. My guess is that with their enormous inventory of parts, they have the roller. You'll have to send them either a good sharp picture or an actual sample if they are not in your neighborhood. There are probably scores of different rollers. I hope you can source locally for your convenience but if not, Blaines is THE place for all things doors and windows. Good luck.

(also glad the guy with the window screens got it together nicely. It does take two or three people to get them in/out. I think for me it was two people to remove and three to replace. Too many moving parts at one time)
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD