Flax packing size.?

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
martindesign
Aluminum Star

Flax packing size.?

Post by martindesign »

Just got my new rudders and getting ready to rebuild the setup. I went with the nylon stuff box style. Do I need 1/4" or 3/16" flax packing on these guys. I think it's quater but wanted to verify. Old ones just used rust. :lol:
Machanic, fabricator, carpenter, plumber, electrician, designer, hotrod builder and glutton for punishment. :ugeek: current boat; 1969 Marinette 32 express bridge 440's
Catawba Oh
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Re: Flax packing size.?

Post by Fastjeff »

Fastjeff's Law of Packing: Always use a smaller size than recommended. It's lots easier to get the rings in, and it doesn't matter in the long run after you tighten it up.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
martindesign
Aluminum Star

Post by martindesign »

Fair enough. 1/4" it is then the gap is 9/32. Thank u sir.
Machanic, fabricator, carpenter, plumber, electrician, designer, hotrod builder and glutton for punishment. :ugeek: current boat; 1969 Marinette 32 express bridge 440's
Catawba Oh
ericinga
Aluminum Star

Post by ericinga »

I used 1/4" on mine this spring. No issues.

As Jeff said, you can use a smaller size and simply put an extra layer or two of material.
Eric Spies
1989 32 SDFB
Twin 318s
Lake Lanier, GA
Marinette Boat
martindesign
Aluminum Star

Post by martindesign »

Well I installed the new stainless rudders tonight. And used 1/4" palmetto brand graphite coated flax packing. In the product description it says nothing about marine use. Just that it is for seals in pump type applications and it is safe for water use so well see. My only complaint is that it is pretty stiff. I really cranked them down before I got the drip to slow. ( I was pouring water on from top to test since boat is on stands) is there truth that it will swell a bit once in the water?
Catawba Oh
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

If that's a Teflon based produce, they don't really swell, but you can crank 'em down really tight since it's not a prop shaft.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
martindesign
Aluminum Star

Post by martindesign »

My only concern is, how much can those nylon threads take. They are pretty fine.
Catawba Oh
ericinga
Aluminum Star

Post by ericinga »

I replaced the delron plastic stuffing box gland with a bronze unit. For $89, it was worth the extra expense for the peace of mind. You can buy them at Deep Blue Yacht Supply.

In case your wondering, the plastic unit broke during removal. I was replacing the rudder shaft bearing.

Eric
Eric Spies
1989 32 SDFB
Twin 318s
Lake Lanier, GA
Marinette Boat
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

I hope you electrically isolated it from the aluminum hull!

Jeff
ericinga
Aluminum Star

Post by ericinga »

Jeff

It mounts in a rubber hose. Between the hose and packing material, it is isolated from the hull and rudder.
Eric Spies
1989 32 SDFB
Twin 318s
Lake Lanier, GA
Marinette Boat