Sliding glass door needed

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
brokebill
Tin star

Sliding glass door needed

Post by brokebill »

Has any one replaced the salon slicing glass door? I am looking for an old door, or aluminum extrusions to make a new door, or someone who will make a new door to fit my new glass. I removed the door to have it powder coated and in the process lost the latch side vertical piece. Right before loosing the piece I had a new piece of laminated safety glass cut to replace the cracked original piece. Help?
Bill Melke
Dayton, Ohio
28' Sedan Restoration
On the hard in Constance KY.
barkleydave
Site Admin

Re: Sliding glass door needed

Post by barkleydave »

I would check with a local glass/door company. They probably can replace the latch assembly or build a new frame for you

dave
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain
Calivanos
Tin star

Post by Calivanos »

Hey I am in the same situation. looks like I am going to have build. I worked on the old doors but there is just too much work to restore them. So far extruded aluminum box tube with 1/2 starboard/glass on top. I think with tube fittings we can make up nice doors. The question is to slide or fix and hinge? Mine are 80" wide x 76 tall so you can go mobile home RV parts/doors but they are cheesy. Anyway I'm hoping you have a better plan.
Calivanos
1964 31' Marinette Cabin
Twin V6 Vortecs, ZF Hurth Transmissions
Matagorda, Texas
Calivanos
Tin star

Post by Calivanos »

Sorry- vendor is Outwater Plastics Industries Inc. On website look at the catalogue on page 207 and you will see aluminum extrusions and 1 1/2 inch tubing connectors.
Calivanos
1964 31' Marinette Cabin
Twin V6 Vortecs, ZF Hurth Transmissions
Matagorda, Texas
brokebill
Tin star

Post by brokebill »

Calivanos wrote:Hey I am in the same situation. looks like I am going to have build. I worked on the old doors but there is just too much work to restore them. So far extruded aluminum box tube with 1/2 starboard/glass on top. I think with tube fittings we can make up nice doors. The question is to slide or fix and hinge? Mine are 80" wide x 76 tall so you can go mobile home RV parts/doors but they are cheesy. Anyway I'm hoping you have a better plan.
barkleydave wrote:I would check with a local glass/door company. They probably can replace the latch assembly or build a new frame for you

I like the sliding door as it takes up less space when opening and closing. On this 28' sedan the rear deck is only about 3' wide so you would have to move people around every time you wanted to open and close the door. Good luck and thanks for the input.
dave
Bill Melke
Dayton, Ohio
28' Sedan Restoration
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

See the vendors list. Blaine carries a wide range of door parts. They may not be in your area but if you need something specialized or common they are the go-to source
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
brokebill
Tin star

Post by brokebill »

Hay guys thanks for all the input it gives me some directions to go in.

Broke Bill
Bill Melke
Dayton, Ohio
28' Sedan Restoration