Rails

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
Rockxx
Aluminum Star

Rails

Post by Rockxx »

I have my rails removed in preparation for topside paint this week and have decided to rework the screw holes using the aluminum rivet nuts as mentioned in earlier post. McMaster Carr is showing two thicknesses available and I'm sure one of you guys knows which one is needed. Thickness ranges shown are .020-.130 and .130-.225. Figuring on using 1032x3/4 Fh stainless screws unless someone has another idea.

Regards to all,
Rockxx
1972 28' Express, single 318, Center Hill Lake, Tn.
1972 28' express "Safari"
Single Chrysler 318
Center Hill Lake, Tennessee
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Re: Rails

Post by Fastjeff »

Use the LONGER ones. I used that size and the railings are still tight 9 years later.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Rockxx
Aluminum Star

Post by Rockxx »

Thanks for the help. I have looked at the video on the homemade tool to install but can't really see enough to figure out how it works. If you can shed some light on that it would be appreciated.

Thanks again,

Rockxx
Single Chrysler 318
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

It's tricky! The 'handle' has a hole drilled in it and is used to keep the rivet from spinning as you tighten the nut. You''ll need a bunch of grade 8 bolts (allen type) and lots of grade 8 nuts (since the threads don't last long).

1, Screw a bolt into a nut then through the handle and into the Rivet Nut. (Be sure it's all the way through the RIvet Nut.)

2. Holding the handle (to keep the rivet from spinning), tighten down the nut on the bolt, which pulls the rivet into place (mushrooming the end).

3. Back off the nut and remove the bolt.

4. Go to the next one.

Use a good anti-0seize compound on the threads and they'll last a bit longer, but be prepared to toss out a bunch of bolts and nuts.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Rockxx
Aluminum Star

Post by Rockxx »

Ordered what I needed from my local Fastenall store and should have by Thursday. Your explanation turned the light on for me and I see how it's supposed to work.

Thanks
Single Chrysler 318