32 sedan improper lay-up for winter storage

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
thanksdad

32 sedan improper lay-up for winter storage

Post by thanksdad »

I would greatly appreciate your input regarding the following: Here is the scenario...

A friend's 32 sedan was laid up for the winter last October. Lay-up was routine and the boat was stored on a custom wooden cradle that came with the boat. Fast forward to getting ready for spring commissioning. Only in the last couple of days did we realize that boat was positioned too far forward and the aft portion of the hull was resting on the drive shafts instead of the hull forward of the shafts. When the facility was advised, the boat was immediately re-positioned properly.

So here are the issues. The facility will evaluate and "possibly" remove the shafts to check/straighten. It is my opinion that the shafts should be removed, straightened if needed AND repacked stuffing box with new cutlass bearings. If the shafts have to come out to test shouldn't you routinely replace stuffing box packing and cutlass bearing? I would think it would be a bad idea to use the old bearing and packing material.

Is it possible or even likely that the shafts could be OK considering the weight they were subjected to? It seems to me that at a minimum the shafts should come out with new packing and bearings. Your thoughts are appreciated.
Scott Ross
Thanks Dad
1988 32 Fisherman
Sandusky, Ohio
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: 32 sedan improper lay-up for winter storage

Post by bill »

A quick way to check the shafts would be with a dial indicator. Set the dial indicator on a sturdy location under the boat and have someone slowly turn the prop. I would doubt if any damage was done simply by resting on the shafts. Unless they droped it from a couple of feet. :lol:
Thats why I am always there when my boat is hauled out.I am lucky our club lets us pull are own boats. :mrgreen:
bill
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Busia »

Only need to change the strut bushing (cutless ) if it is worn and you have excessive play ( slop in the shaft ). The packing box should be loosened before pulling the shaft. No need to change every time, but it is cheap and easy to change the packing if you want to. I've set my boat on the trailer and had it resting on the shaft. So moved it right away. No harm done but not happy about it. ( I checked it afterward ) You can check the shaft with a dial indicator as Bill has suggested or pull the prop and the shaft and check it out of the boat. Use lots of dish or hand soap to lube the shaft when you take it out and put it back in. Good luck,Ed
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
Rockit
Aluminum Star

Post by Rockit »

BIll is right on. You have to watch the yard. The first time they used the travel lift on my BigM, they had the slings going under the shafts. I stopped that before they began the lift.

It seems like with all the I/Os like the yards have forgotten how to lift inboards.

Good luck with your situation.

Joe
Joe Napoli
1977 28' Express
Twin raw water cooled 318s
Beaver River--near mile 25 on the Ohio
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

The yard didn't snuggle mine down properly either and it was resting on the stands instead of the aft keel block (which I could move with my foot!) Didn't seem to hurt anything, however--good old rock crushers!

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

Folks...
I've had issues with vibration in the starboard engine the season after our yard moved the boat. It sat in a travel lift sling overnight before being blocked up the next day with the sling under the shafts. Also, we'd hit a 5" (?) log that season and it damaged one of the prop blades. I was able to pound that out while the boat was in the water (it's good being long winded sometimes - you know how long you can hold your breath! ;-) ). The next season (after the sling incident) I'd installed reconditioned props (thinking my "fix" wasn't a completely accurate job). That's when I discovered the vibration issue. Still have it. Going to take Bill's advice and use a dial indicator from Harbor Freight (don't retch, it's (hopefully) accurate... :-\ http://www.harborfreight.com/1-inch-tra ... r-623.html

Question - where on the shaft should measurements be taken? Single point ...? Multiple points?

Have not checked the clearance between shaft and trannie flanges yet. I know that should be less than .03" variance at 4 - 90 degree points of checking(?). I figured the lift

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bill »

BigM
Question - where on the shaft should measurements be taken? Single point ...? Multiple points?

- :geek: -------------------Multiple along the bottom of the shaft while someone is turning the prop.-- 8-) -------------------------------

Have not checked the clearance between shaft and trannie flanges yet. I know that should be less than .03" variance at 4 - 90 degree points of checking(?). I figured the lift

-- :geek: ---------Do this when boat is in the water.. :roll: -----------------------------------

bill
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
thanksdad

Post by thanksdad »

Thanks everyone for the input. FYI, the cutlass bearings did not look too good with the weight on the shafts, so we will have to see.I will keep you posted on how this plays out.

Thanks again!
Scott Ross
Thanks Dad
1988 32 Fisherman
Sandusky, Ohio
collins69s
Tin star

Post by collins69s »

Hey Scott, which marina did this happen at?
Thanks,
Sean
1970 42' Inland Seas Aluminum Cruiser
Inland C's
Twin Star Power Turbo 7.3 EFI Diesels
ZF Trannys
Port Clinton, OH

1972 32' Marinette FB Express
Siff Surf
Twin Chrysler 318s
Original Prestolite Distributors (No Issues)
Port Clinton, OH
thanksdad

Post by thanksdad »

Sean, at the request of my friend, I would rather not. Mainly because their service has been outstanding and this event seems to be an oversight and an anomaly. I will keep the forum posted on whatever the solution.
Scott Ross
Thanks Dad
1988 32 Fisherman
Sandusky, Ohio