Boat zincs

bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Boat zincs

Post by bill »

BigM
Thanks Busia :!:

http://www.boatzincs.com/

Simply type MARINETTE in the search box and a listing appears with the boat lengths and amout of anoids required. :o
ALSO :roll:
From Marinette Yacht site.
Anode specifications for Marinette aluminum boats

Material:
Although anodes are commonly referred to as "zincs" the proper anode for use on the Marinette hull is actually a specially developed aluminum alloy with the designation of KA90 or SEALLOY 150. These aluminum anodes, because of their material make up and the processing that they go through, give the highest protection possible. KA 90 and SEALLOY 150 were the anodes that the boats were supplied with from the factory. Magnesium can be used, however Marinette Yachts does not recommend its use. If magnesium is used, it can only be used in freshwater and it will deplete at a much faster rate than the aluminum anode possibly leaving the hull unprotected if not monitored closely. Commonly available zinc is too close on the galvanic scale to provide adequate protection and should not be used. High purity zinc can be used but it is difficult to find and does not provide as much protection as the aluminum anode.

Attachment:
Anodes should be bolted to bare metal with Stainless Steel bolts. Do not use wire brushes made of steel or copper alloys to strip the aluminum.

Anode requirements:

26', 28' and 29.5' Models
30" on each side of keel, 12" on each trim tab, 6" on each rudder, Total single engine 7' 6"
Total twin engine 8' 0"

32' Models
36" on each side of keel, 12" on each trim tab, 6" on each rudder
Total 9' 0"

37' Models
54" on each side of keel, 12" on each trim tab, 6" on each rudder
Total 12' 0"

39', 41' and 44' Models
60" on each side of keel, 18" on each trim tab, 6" on each rudder
Total 14' 0"

bill
Last edited by bill on Tue May 19, 2015 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
Maestro
Aluminum Star

Re: Boat zincs

Post by Maestro »

I purchased my main keel anodes as well as rudder and shaft anodes from Boatzincs last season. Good service, great prices, fast shipping.
Maestro
1986 32' Sedan
Chrysler 360s
1.5:1 Gears, 16x16 props

1970 28' Express
Single Chrysler 440
1:1 Gear, 14x12 prop

Green Bay, WI
Rockit
Aluminum Star

Post by Rockit »

I had the same experience. In October, we painted the bottom with Trilux 33 and put new anodes on so she'll be ready to splash faster. Boy was that optimistic!

Joe
Joe Napoli
1977 28' Express
Twin raw water cooled 318s
Beaver River--near mile 25 on the Ohio
Rivetman
Tin star

Post by Rivetman »

I have a full set of zincs taken from the boat. Is it possible to "clean them up to shiny" once tarnished. They look reasonably good, with minor pitting. I would love to put the $$$ towards other tasks if possible. Kind thanks in advance for any advice.
1973 28FB Express "Whisper" on the hard @ Tucker Engineered Lumberyard Yaght Club and Reggae Bar...I dream of H2O, not gravel!
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Rivetman wrote:I have a full set of zincs taken from the boat. Is it possible to "clean them up to shiny" once tarnished. They look reasonably good, with minor pitting.
Sure it is. The standard advice has been to discard the zincs when they are eaten about halfway. I used to double up on my half-used zincs on the theory that two halves equaled a whole and got another season or more out of them. Seemed to work. Fastjeff would have admired that cheapskatery.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

You know...
.... given the amount of brewskies that are imbibed in on this site, it's a wonder somebody hasn't tried to crush the empty aluminum cans into the shape of keel, rudder, or trim shaped boat zincs.... :roll:

.. Somebody grab Jeff... he's starting to consider this!!! ;)

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
Rockit
Aluminum Star

Post by Rockit »

I think it was FastJeff who suggested drilling a hole in a bar of magnesium, looping a conductive wire through the hole, attaching an alligator clip to the other end, and clipping the clip to the boat to preserve the anodes. Years ago I bought one of those magnesium "guppies" and it seems to extend the life of the zincs at least in freshwater.

Although if you're too cheap, you might not be happy with the consequences. Keep an eye on the corrosion monitor.
Joe Napoli
1977 28' Express
Twin raw water cooled 318s
Beaver River--near mile 25 on the Ohio
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

"... it's a wonder somebody hasn't tried to crush the empty aluminum cans into the shape of keel, rudder, or trim shaped boat zincs.... :roll:..." That's a joke, yes? Aluminum ain't for anodes.

"magnesium guppies seem to extend the life of zincs..." There's no good to be gained from extending the life of zincs -- they are supposed to sacrifice to protect the boat. The thing to aim for is to fix the problem that causes them to corrode when they corrode too quickly. Some corrosion is inevitable and to be expected.
-joel-
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

Use of the cans...

Yep, joke (IT folks try for humor, sometimes it happens, others.... not quite so...).

From Boatzincs.com on Marinette anodes:
"These anode strips are made of Mil-Spec A-24779(SH) aluminum alloy (also called KA90 or SEALLOY 150 by Marinette Yachts). "

As the disclaimer says (about using beer cans.....) "Don't try this at home.... or on the boat!".
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

bcassedy wrote:IT folks try for humor, sometimes it happens, others.... not quite so...)
You scored
-joel-
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD