Storing Kayaks

Things that are of general interest.
SolomonsDrake
Tin star

Storing Kayaks

Post by SolomonsDrake »

I have a 32' SFB, just wondering if anyone has experience taking kayaks with them on day trips or longer trips. I am trying to figure out the best way to secure two kayaks outside of the cabin while underway. My preliminary thoughts are to either strap them onto the swim platform, stacked, or to strap them onto the rails going up one side of the cabin (reserving the other for accessing the foredeck).

Thoughts on the best way to transport them?

Tim
Voyager
1977 32' Sedan Flybridge
Twin Chrysler 318s
Chesapeake Bay
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Re: Storing Kayaks

Post by Fastjeff »

I would think you could fabricate a simple wooden rack to store them on the swim platform. But upside down since it's hell trying to pour the rainwater out (like trying to dump water out of a tire).

Jeff (fanatic kayaker)
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
SolomonsDrake
Tin star

Post by SolomonsDrake »

Thanks, Jeff. Do you think if I attached several D rings to the swim platform and transom, that it would be sufficient to use some heavy duty bungee cords to hold them down? Or do I need a stronger physical barrier as well (such as a rack or posts). I'm also wondering if I could put some fold up posts on the platform that generally lay nearly flat, but could be folded up towards the aft end of the platform to create such a barrier. I want to be able to use the swim platform for getting on and off the kayaks as well, and don't want too much "rack" that stays in place for when we aren't carrying the kayaks.

Tim
Voyager
1977 32' Sedan Flybridge
Twin Chrysler 318s
Chesapeake Bay
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

What you have to watch out for is that the ends of the kayak don't protrude to one side so far that they can smash into a piling. (Ah-hem!)

I would think there's no way can you store them on the swim platform without their getting in the way. You may have to live with that.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington