Overcharging alternator

A/C & D/C Wiring, GPS, Radios, etc.
kimbo

Overcharging alternator

Post by kimbo »

Fellow Marinette's,

My M39DC 1985 with Chrysler 440, the starboard alternator is overcharging. I see others with the Chrysler 318 are recommending the ARCO one wire. According to "Marinepartssource" the ARCO 40112 can be used for the 440 and other Marinette's. Does it matter what the rotation of the engine for the alternator?

Thanks,

Kimbo
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Re: Overcharging alternator

Post by Fastjeff »

I stupidly didn't know they were different and ran mine assbackwards for years without a problem (and it was a higher then normal amperage one as well).

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
BobCav
Tin star

Post by BobCav »

An alternator will work in either direction, but some cooling fans are designed to operate in only one direction. Typically marine alternators have cooling fans designed to operate in either direction. Ever wonder why the fan blades on your car's alternator are all big on one side and small on the other? That's to prevent the fan from becoming a siren at high rpm!
Bob Cavalcante, SCPO USN (Ret.)
Gel coat is for ladies' fingernails!
1985 32 Fisherman, Twin Crusader 270's. No lead onboard: one Relion 300aH LiFePo4 House batt with one Maxwell Ultracapacitor Engine Start Module to start BOTH engines!
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

I can't envision an alternator and am too lazy to dig my old one out of the garage, but is it possible to reverse the fan blades (remove, turn around, replace) or are they installed with a very tight press fit almost impossible to remove?
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

That's like putting a prop on backasswards to make it a left handed prop!

Sorry.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
tundrarules
Aluminum Star

Post by tundrarules »

Gel coat is for ladies' fingernails!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Awesome 👏
1985 29 Sedan
Edelbrock 1409 carbs
Mallory distributors
Pertronix Flame-Thrower coil & wires
780 hrs/eng
TN River, MM 213.8