One wire alternator

A/C & D/C Wiring, GPS, Radios, etc.
Bigarrn
New poster

One wire alternator

Post by Bigarrn »

Can anyone give me a part number for the CCW or even a bi-directional alternator ( one wire) for a 32 Sedan? I had no problems finding the standard CW rotating one. /Also needing a part number for the main 120 panel breaker and recommendation on the amperage?
Thanks
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Re: One wire alternator

Post by Fastjeff »

Now, don't tell anyone this, but I stupidly used the wrong directional fan alternator on mine for years with no problems. I know--that shouldn't work, but...

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by javalin390 »

I'm guessing the rotational direction is solely based on fan rotation, being weather it's pulling or pushing air to cool the unit. if that's the case, I don't think it would matter in a Big M. As opposed to inside of a car's engine compartment, or the engine bay of a fiberglass boat, even after a hard run, the inside of a Marinette's engine compartment is fairly cool. I could be wrong, but both of my one wire alternators are identical.
As for the breaker, if it's the old style breaker with the meatal toggle, google "Airpax" switches. They still make them, can't remember the part numbers though.
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
Bigarrn
New poster

Post by Bigarrn »

Thanks for the reply’s but there’s definitely a difference between the rotations I have already tried to use a standard CW rotating ( one wire) alternator and it didn’t charge.
I did forget to say my marinette has had 5.7 Chevy re power.
TinLizzy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by TinLizzy »

All Mercruiser alternators are the same, whether used on a cw or ccw rotation engine . I'm guessing its the same for whatever engine brand you have. I would bet that there is a wiring problem or just a bad alternator, new or not. I installed a pair of one wire Arco brand alternators on a set of 318 Chryslers, both same fan direction, and they worked fine. As Arco or any other Marine alternator manufacturer or re-manufacturer does not make opposite rotation alternators.( to my knowledge ). I have also used Mando alternators,( 4 wire ), same fan direction, on opposite direction engines and they work the same as they should, on both Chrysler and Chevy. Try the alternator that didn't charge on the engine that currently works, and vice versa. Should help with the trouble shooting. If it charges on the other engine, I would guess that there is probably a grounding issue on the non working engine. Did you wire the one wire straight from the Alternator to the starter solenoid main battery stud? Some one wires also had a tab to connect a ground wire to the case, if not, maybe put a ring terminal on one of the case screws and run a separate ground wire. Are these Marine Alternators? or just automotive?
Rodney
1975 28 Express-Twin 350 Chevy's, SOLD
1990 32 Express--Twin Mercruiser 454 with Bravo I outdrives
Portage Canal Waterway-Upper Peninsula,Lake Superior
Bigarrn
New poster

Post by Bigarrn »

I did switch the new one wire to the standard rotation engine and it worked fine. The alternator is a marine one wire connected directly to the battery and externally grounded to engine block.