Sealant/filler between cabin roof and windshield:

ShadyLady2
New poster

Sealant/filler between cabin roof and windshield:

Post by ShadyLady2 »

Can anyone tell me what to put in the space between the cabin roof and the bottom of the windshield frame that’s flexible and paintable?
I’ve tried a few things with little to no success.
1969 Marinette
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Re: Sealant/filler between cabin roof and windshield:

Post by Fastjeff »

3M 5200.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

There's a wonderful product to fill and seal tiny cracks - Captain Tolley's (something other word follows but I forget it). I think West Marine and others carry it. It's a thin liquid.

I'm not sure I would concur with the Most Knowledgable Jeffster: 3M 5200 hardens really hard - as in "permanent" and is therefor hard (but not impossible) to remove. 3M 4200 may be better and is flexible. Regardless, try the Tolley product first.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
tjcimba

Post by tjcimba »

Hi,

I use Solar Seal 900. WONDERFUL stuff, stays pliable almost forever. I use it for all sorts of bedding, sealing and gap filling. Maintains adhesion and pliability. Put a new seal around front deck hatch years ago and no more leaks!

Look it up, comes in lots of colors. I get mine at roofing, siding and building supply contractor shops in Milwaukee, I think Home Depot may have it, limited colors.

Hope this helps.

Oh Yeah, keep some mineral spirits or charcoal lighter fluid and rag handy for clean up.
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Agreed with the 4200.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Harryb
Tin star

Post by Harryb »

Capt Tolleys Creeping Crack Cure is about as thin as water and is for small cracks and fractures often too small for the eye to even see.It has the ability to find and fill the tiniest of fractures. Harry
1987 32 f/b sedan with twin 318's Docked on florida's nature coast
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Used that stuff very effectively on mine. It sealed where the glass and the aluminum window frame met. No good for a wide gap, however.

jeff