Seahawk Colorkote - Question on usage

bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Seahawk Colorkote - Question on usage

Post by bcassedy »

I have some pressing questions about the potential usage of Seahawk's Colorkote anti-fouling bottom paint...
--> Quick background: our (new to us) 41' Marquis purchased in October 2021 is currently on the hard at a local marina. I power washed the bottom and found there are several spots (some small, some larger) where bare aluminum is showing. Boat's normally going to be kept in fresh water (Ohio River) without being pulled each year - maybe everywhere year for short duration for bottom cleaning / paint checks.

--> intended paint process:
1. Lightly sand bottom (in sections)
2. As each section is completed, paint/coat with etching over entire surface in order to prep sanded bare aluminum spots/areas for priming / bottom painting.
** this is intended to minimize time to do rather trying to catch this spot/area and that spot/area. Aka "just do it all and it's done"... getting it quickly ready for next steps.
3. Prime those spots/areas with 2 coats of primer
4. Paint entire bottom with Seahawk anti-fouling paint - 2 coats

NOW THE QUESTION...
I talked with Seahawk tech about the above process. He recommended the use of Seahawk Colorkote. He knew I've got an aluminum boat. In reading the tech details on Colokote I found (in part):

>>> Triple Biocide Antifouling Power, Econea*, Zinc Omadine, Copper
Thiocyanate
>>> Compatible with all hull types, ideal for fiberglass, aluminum, and steel/iron hulls

My concern is the "Copper Thiocyanate" yet the notation that the paint is safe for aluminum boat's.

Does anyone have any input on usage of this paint, one way or another???

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
GB49
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Seahawk Colorkote - Question on usage

Post by GB49 »

I've been using Seahawk Smart Solution for the past 3-4 years. Not sure about Colorkote but have had zero issues with Smart Solution. Goes on easy and stays on.
I ground the old Interlux stuff off with power sander/grinder. It came off like black powder. Had that crap everywhere!
Prepped any bare AL spots with their Xylene and coated with Primer 1277 primer.
Super easy process, no etching. Holds on very well and keeps the critters away.
1986 Sedan 32'. Twin Chrysler 360in^3, 275hp.
Forum member since 1998.
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

I recall Copper Thiocyanate from my boat painting days. It's a derivative of copper, not copper itself and is safe for M bottoms.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Busia »

The Zinc Omadine is what is in the E- paint I use, the Copper Thiocyanate is what is in Trilux paint, and others. I won't use it. It is supposed to be safe, but it is still a copper compound.
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P