Brand new Big M owner here...questions about trailering...

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
DocGil
New poster

Re: Brand new Big M owner here...questions about trailering...

Post by DocGil »

Busia wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:39 pm " I was also thinking about putting stern eye's in so that I can easier strap it down. Thoughts anyone? "
Do you have cleats on the stern? They are what most people use.
I do, not sure what I was thinking there. LOL
Brand new owner of a 1968 28' Marinette. Radford, VA with my primary lake being Claytor Lake and 2 hours from Lake Norman or Smith Mountain Lake. More to follow. :D
seef158
Aluminum Star

Post by seef158 »

I strapped mine down same as busia, a strap from each of the 4 corner cleats angled towards the center of trailer so rear straps go forward to trailer, front straps go back. I also left the winch strap tight, kept the boat nice and right.
1972 28' express single 318, working on getting the bugs worked out.
forest lake, mn
Duluth, mn
Washburn, wi
BobCav
Tin star

Post by BobCav »

I just towed my new-to-me 85 32-Fisherman 400 miles from Ashtabula, Ohio to the Chesapeake Bay. I used two 4" straps forward and aft to hold her down secure to the trailer, and two 2" straps to prevent any movement aft, one from the forward cleats angled forward to the trailer and one above the swim platform to the trailer. She didn't budge!

20210717_054225.jpg
20210717_054238.jpg
Bob Cavalcante, SCPO USN (Ret.)
Gel coat is for ladies' fingernails!
1985 32 Fisherman, Twin Crusader 270's. No lead onboard: one Relion 300aH LiFePo4 House batt with one Maxwell Ultracapacitor Engine Start Module to start BOTH engines!
DocGil
New poster

Post by DocGil »

Beautiful boat! Thanks for posting; I think even though I'll put a bow eye on for convenience, I'll strap like this as well.
Brand new owner of a 1968 28' Marinette. Radford, VA with my primary lake being Claytor Lake and 2 hours from Lake Norman or Smith Mountain Lake. More to follow. :D
BobCav
Tin star

Post by BobCav »

Thanks! I was restoring a 74 28 Express and the wife got tired of losing me on weekend to the never ending money pit and told me to buy a boat! Who am I to argue? LOL... I intend on adding a bow eye to her get her on the trailer easier.
Bob Cavalcante, SCPO USN (Ret.)
Gel coat is for ladies' fingernails!
1985 32 Fisherman, Twin Crusader 270's. No lead onboard: one Relion 300aH LiFePo4 House batt with one Maxwell Ultracapacitor Engine Start Module to start BOTH engines!