Transom Door

Things that are of general interest.
Tuggle
Aluminum Star

Transom Door

Post by Tuggle »

Thinking about cutting in a transom door, who has done this, what problems did you encounter, how wide, how deep, etc. Would like to make it floor depth and as wide as possible.
"Deplorable", 1975 32' Express, Twin 318's, Raw Water Cooled, Lake Lanier, Ga.
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Transom Door

Post by javalin390 »

I have seen several, one in person, the rest in photos. I think there is a few pictures in the old photo archives site. Some had doors, other are just left open.
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by javalin390 »

Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Got into an interesting debate with a boat salesman on the transom door issue.

I insisted, for safety sake, the door should open outward, to prevent a following wake from slamming it open and flooding the cabin.

He said it should open inward, to prevent it popping open and someone falling off the stern under way.

Six of one...

So what's your opinions?

Jeff

PS: I still think a flybridge plus a few people up there in a 28 footer would make it a bit "tender".
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Busia »

Should be welded shut for safety and I would never have a flybridge either.
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Wow!

Are you my long lost brother?

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

Given that there is a void in the transom (outer hull and inner bulkhead), might I suggest an alternative...
Install a sliding gate that would disappear into that void. Yes, it would take a fair amount of effort but it would negate both the reasonings for anti outward and inward swinging gates. A positive latching/locking mechanism would ensure the gate wouldn't fly open.

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Great idea. Someone should patent that.

Jeff
garycarroll
Tin star

Post by garycarroll »

I am buying a Marinette 32, after a lot of looking. The one I am getting has three openings in the rail that tops the gunwale around the stern. The openings have the rail that would close it on a hinge, but the latches to hold the rail closed are missing. There are screw holes in the top of the rail on the fix and swinging "door" part that evidently once held these latches.
I can undoubtedly find something that would work, but does anyone have photos of what it should look like originally, and ideally a source for similar parts? I don't require actual original equipment... I like the historic "old boat" look, but I'm not going to be a fanatic.
The rail is currently painted, but tapping on it with my fingernail leads me to think it's stainless (like the rest of the rail) or very hard aluminum. While an aluminum rail might make sense on an aluminum boat, I would think that would have dictated aluminum posts for the rail as well.
1979 32' Sedan Cruiser Flybridge, "Extended Play"
Dual 350 Crusader, carbureted with closed freshwater cooling
Westerbeke gasoline marine generator
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

For the buyer of a 32... (it would help immensely for you to add a signature to your posts) it's very likely the screw holes for the gates failed to provide enough 'bite' for the screws in the hinges ("wollered"). If that's the case, you could consider the use of rivnuts in the holes. These are a type of rivet which fits (snugly) into a.hole, a special (but readily available, say, at Amazon https://www.amazon.com/WETOLS-Rivet-Met ... 581&sr=8-3) tool to set the rivnut. You end up with an almost flush, threaded nut to attach the hinges. Here's a YouTube video on their installation:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6D3oA_AvWh8

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.