Fried Toggle switch.

A/C & D/C Wiring, GPS, Radios, etc.
wschneid
Tin star

Fried Toggle switch.

Post by wschneid »

I have an 1986 Sedan Flybridge 32'. I guess I overloaded my portside AC circuit and fried the toggle switch that controls the port AC outlets. It looks like a standard on/off toggle switch, but I'm not sure. Does anyone know what type/model switch this would be and where I could get one?

Bill Schneider
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Fried Toggle switch.

Post by javalin390 »

Stop right there !! That's no ordinary toggle switch, that is actually an AC circuit breaker, and must be replaced with the same. Depending on whether the switch handle is plastic or stainless steel depends on the brand. I'm pretty sure the brand of the metal ones are covered in an older post and still available (forget the namebrand). Anyone?...
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by javalin390 »

Found it ! Airpax is the namebrand, if you google around, should be able to find a vendor.
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
GB49
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by GB49 »

Might want to inspect the connections behind the main AC panel. You will probably find some of those spade connectors are slightly melted as well. Easy to replace.
1986 Sedan 32'. Twin Chrysler 360in^3, 275hp.
Forum member since 1998.
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Could be a defective switch/breaker -- it should have tripped before burning out. In 17 years, never had to replace one of those even though AC would blow the breaker shut (actually open) every couple of years
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
wschneid
Tin star

Post by wschneid »

Thanks for the replies. It is an Airpax AC circuit breaker with a black plastic switch handle. Does anyone have a model number or the amperage the circuit breaker should be, 15A, 20A, 30A?

Bill Schneider
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Bill..I looked that query up in the Marinette manual. And my reading indicate they left the breaker size up to how the boat's load is configured.
I have the manual pages on the AC (and DC wiring) but not much help for your question. The DC side is a bit more specific since the boat mfr controlled the initial appliances and stuff that needed to be controlled.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

Bill,

I also had an AC circuit breaker fail. It just quit working in that the toggle would move side to side (or up/down if oriented that way...) and wouldn't engage. It HAD tripped (no AC power on the port side.

I got replacements from onlinecomponents.com . I got 3 15amp for 12.67/ea plus shipping. In checking the wiring size going to your failed breaker you'll determine what size breaker you'll be able to use: 14awg - 15amp || 12awg - 20amp || 10awg - 30amp .

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
wschneid
Tin star

Post by wschneid »

Thanks.
That's what I needed.

Bill Schneider
wschneid
Tin star

Post by wschneid »

Bill,
Do you have a part number for the circuit breakers you ordered from onlinecomponents.com? I can use 15A or 20 A.

Bill Schneider