Mildew removal

Fresh & Waste Water Systems, Climate Control, etc.
RustyBoat
Tin star

Mildew removal

Post by RustyBoat »

Im about to start restoring my interior and have a mildew problem on some of the wood inside(cabinet doors and trim). whats the best way to remove or does all the wood need replacing? Is it possible to use a solution to remove and stain or can I just sand it down and stain?
1968 32' Fisherman
beginning restoration fall of 2014

Lake Sidney Lanier
jralbert
Site Admin

Re: Mildew removal

Post by jralbert »

It doesn't take long to hit the mildewed wood and surrounding areas with a mild bleach solution to kill the mold spores.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bill »

BigM
:idea: I remember reading a sure fire mixture to rid the interior of mold and mildew on the old site. :oops:
I believe the proper amount and ingredients are as follows:
TSP 1cup---Bleach 2 cups----Original Dawn 1/4 cup----Water 3 quarts very hot water to dissolve TSP.
-Pour it into a spray bottle and have at it.
Rinse with warm water.
"As always test an out of the way area first :!: " :roll:

bill
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
Rivetman
Tin star

Post by Rivetman »

I'm not sure what TSP is.
1973 28FB Express "Whisper" on the hard @ Tucker Engineered Lumberyard Yaght Club and Reggae Bar...I dream of H2O, not gravel!
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

TSP is the brand name of a strong soap. I think it actually stands for Tri Sodium Phosphate. It's available in most hardware and, I think, paint stores
-joel-
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
yooper
Aluminum Star

Post by yooper »

I use the dawn, bleach, tsp solution for general cleanup in my kitchen and boat. I just pour about 2 oz of dawn 4 oz of bleach and a tablespoon of tsp into a 16 oz spray bottle. Top it off with water decant 1/2 into another spray bottle and top both off. Vary the mix according to what you are trying to clean. Grease - more detergent. Mold more bleach. Dryed dirt more TSP. For more delicate wood surfaces you can use mineral spirits - it evaporates quickly. Oil soap is also an option for paneling. The thing I like about these cleaners is they are cheap and effective.
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

It would be interesting to hear how the original poster fared with his cleanup project and which suggested "solution" he used.
-joel-
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
RustyBoat
Tin star

Post by RustyBoat »

I originally tried to use an antibacterial surface cleaner and it seamed to dry out the wood and discolor it. After looking further into the mold issue i realized that from excessive water damage due to leaks means the interior needs to be gutted and cleaned. Only about 20% of the wood trim inside needs to be replaced but all of the panels for the walls and ceiling need to be replaced. For all the wood that isnt going to be replaced I will strip, sand, and apply new stain. For normal cleanup in the future I will definitely use one of the solutions provided.
1968 32' Fisherman
beginning restoration fall of 2014

Lake Sidney Lanier
yooper
Aluminum Star

Post by yooper »

Teak trim wood shouldn't rot. I turns grey and white with streaks of black mold. Use the cleaning solution with a brush then a little sanding to smooth out the raised grain. It should be a uniform grey or light brown. Teak oil should bring back the teak color if not use a little stain. You only need to varnish teak if it is outside or around wet areas inside. You can varnish right over teak oil. Teak is great but is very expensive.
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

Getting the boat ready for spring Splash Day. Ran into a situation when I went down to start getting her ready. Boat's been buttoned up since last October. When I went inside I found an unbelievable amount of green mildew (,or mold?) throughout the boat.
I started cleaning it today using 20 Muleteam Borax. I'd previously used a bleach solution but that streaked the wood badly. Borax is suggested as 1st line of cleanup. If necessary a solution of white vinegar and water is then used.

The thing that bothers me is the heavy concentration of mold / mildew I ran into. In years past there has been some mold but nothing on the scale I ran into this year. I did start closing up the draft sites (between sliding windows using rubber channel siliconed in place). That seemed to work well. Now I'm wondering if it worked too well:
- during day sun heats up boat. Heated air expands forcing air to be expelled from inside. When boat cools, cool moist air drawn in. Air is moisture laden and mold & mildew thrive.

Next year the plan is to use desiccant packs that can be reused after drying them out PLUS using a 12v dehumidifier that'll empty thru the aft drain plug hole.

Has anyone run into what I found and/or what means did you use to clean / prevent further problems?

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.