exterior flooring suggestions needed

Fresh & Waste Water Systems, Climate Control, etc.
CapnGary
Tin star

exterior flooring suggestions needed

Post by CapnGary »

Our 1986 32 FB, with the exterior/exposed cockpit area, is in need of a new floor. The PO screwed down 3/4 plywood and glued exterior carpet to it. Besides holding dirt, the top layer of plywood delaminates in ridges at times, it leaks , and it is hard to clean. Storing things under the floor hatch is not good as it gets wet during rain. Finding way to seal the hatch??

It's hard to locate suggestions, so I start a new thread. What works well? What doesn't? I was tempted to put in a good linoleum and glue it down, but flooring stores won't even sell it to me if it's in the sun, thinking I will just be mad at result over time. I believe I saw stick on rubber gym carpet tiles somewhen on this site?? My son put SeaDek on his center console, and after 4 years, it needs replaced already.

Suggestions are welcome.
Thanks in advance
Capn Gary
1986 32' FB
Milton, Fl
jralbert
Site Admin

Re: exterior flooring suggestions needed

Post by jralbert »

Carpeting is an awful material because as you discovered it holds water. Even the original factory glued on vinyl is better. It's long-lasting But if pierced or not laid properly, can also trap water underneath leading to rot. Some folks use "diamond plate" aluminum and like it. Others have applied a truck bedding material over plywood, a kind of rubber with a nice gripping textured surface. My choice - it's more costly - has always been Plasteak made in Akron. (or at least used to be made there, not sure currently). It is very easy to work with. It comes in tongue/groove planks which you can seal between and also in sheet laid down like linoleum. Virtually maintenance free and easy to clean when you must. Not slippery. I used it for an indestructible bow pulpit and was about to do the back deck when I sold the boat and it became a project for the new owner. good luck with the project
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by EWRice »

The original nautolex vinyl works very good. Probably the best bang for your buck, except they no longer make the original pattern. This is what I am going to use in my Thompson when I finish the interior. They make some pretty nice textured vinyl in various colors.

On my 32 express, I replaced the plywood floor (coated in epoxy first) and installed a diamond pattern industrial polyvinyl that I purchased from Home Depot in 11 ft wide rolls. That was the big selling point for me, no seems, only openings for hatches. I have mixed feeling about it.
It is good stuff. Tough, cleans easy and is almost indestructible. The biggest issue I have is that it expands when heated. It probably would not have been an issue if I had installed it on the hottest day in dirrect sunlight. If I were to do it again I would use the nautolex.
Muskegon Lake
1972 32' Express flybridge
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
1963 Thompson Super Sea Lancer
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Consider leaving an expansion joint or two if you like that product. You can caulk the joint with something flexible or leave the perimeter a tad short. If it buckles when it expands, that's different and not good.
I forgot the Nautolex name, thanks for reminding me. yep, it's tough stuff and with epoxied underlayment that won't rot til long after we do, you should be in good shape. As for reproducing the pattern, assume MArinette were making the boats today, they also would be using a different pattern. Start a new fashion statement.
When we needed to replace our kitchen floor last year (flood), I saw some flooring material that was said to be waterproof. Can't recall the name but a flooring center could tell you in one quick phone call.
Happy New Year.
-joel-
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

I replaced the rotting plywood (where necessary) with new wood, then laid down 1/8 " aluminum plate. (Used a large piece of cardboard as a pattern and cut out three pieces.) I used lots of sealer at the joints, and installed an aluminum angle all around the outer edge to seal the water out. The plates were held down by SS counter-sunk flat head screws run down into the plywood--MUCH easier than trying to screw things down from below! All in all, a fairly easy job with most of the parts pre-fabricated at home.

Desk was solid and gave me no problems, but it got HOT in the sun, and the white paint surface got easily scratched. We then bought a cheapo rug that we laid down loosely and replaced every year. That setup worked really nice.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
SunbeamIV
Tin star

Post by SunbeamIV »

I used 5/8” marine grade plywood and covered with “Lonseal” vinyl covering, holly and teak pattern.
Attachments
C527223D-F150-434C-BCF4-14AAAD18A697.jpeg
C527223D-F150-434C-BCF4-14AAAD18A697.jpeg (59.65 KiB) Viewed 19296 times
Scott, 32' 1989 sedan flybridge
Located: Edgewater Yacht Club
Lake Erie
Harryb
Tin star

Post by Harryb »

I used starboard several years ago and used large washers on the underside slightly off set of the boats braces to avoid drilling new holes in the braces.I really like it, never too hot to stand on and has non-skid built in and sun and water never deteriorates it. I used aluminum angle stock on the doors to prevent flexing. Looks good and is a nice clean installation.
1987 32 f/b sedan with twin 318's Docked on florida's nature coast
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

Scott,

The Lonseal covering looks good, the spec sheets from the company website read well (tho there's no indication on cost. :? )

The combination of Lonseal's thickness (.08") + Menards Marine Grade 5/8" (nominal thickness: .563") = .643" which is very close to 5/8" (.625") so the combination of the two would equal the original cockpit flooring thickness. This should then make replacement and fit under the cockpit doors reasonably easy (?!).

Questions:
1. Did you have to buy the full roll stated on the Lonseal site?
2. Do you (or anyone else in the forum!) have issue with the Menards Marine Grade plywood?
https://www.menards.com/main/building-m ... 502726.htm

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

bcassedy wrote: Do you (or anyone else in the forum!) have issue with the Menards Marine Grade plywood?
https://www.menards.com/main/building-m ... 502726.htm
I recall once reading that the term "marine grade" sometimes doesn't mean anything significant. If it were my installation, I'd still coat it with epoxy to waterproof it and be done with it (virtually) forever.
-joel-
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Bryank97
Tin star

Post by Bryank97 »

SunbeamIV wrote:I used 5/8” marine grade plywood and covered with “Lonseal” vinyl covering, holly and teak pattern.
I really like that. How did you seam it? Looks like it the widest it comes is 8 Ft rolls?
1988 Marinette 32 Sedan
Erie, PA
Twin 318 Chryslers 240HP