32 Sedan Adding Air Conditioning

A/C & D/C Wiring, GPS, Radios, etc.
Bryank97
Tin star

32 Sedan Adding Air Conditioning

Post by Bryank97 »

New to the forum, been reading mostly, also on the facebook marinette page.

Here is my situation, I have a 1988 32 Sedan, basically a bare options boat. No A/C, no generator, No inverter, etc.

I will be adding a 16K btu marine air conditioning system this upcoming season. Currently the boat has a single 30amp cord. Which i believe i could be maxing out its capability with a 110v hot water heater, battery charger, stove. I know i could manage the power to make it work. But i believe a 32 Marinette with factory A/C would have had 2 30 amp cords correct?

So it has me thinking, should I add another 30 amp 110v cord dedicated just to the air conditioning?

Another monkey wrench into this equation, I also have a 7.0kw Westerbeke Generator that will get installed down the road. I also stumbled on a 2000w inverter.

Makes me consider adding a single 50 amp 125v cord. for the ease of having 1 ship to shore switch, 1 breaker panel, etc.

Any thoughts?
1988 Marinette 32 Sedan
Erie, PA
Twin 318 Chryslers 240HP
GB49
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: 32 Sedan Adding Air Conditioning

Post by GB49 »

The highest amp draw devices are hot water, AC/heat & electric stove. You can run any 2 of these at once on 30A. This is assuming you have factory hot water tank and not a higher rated after market tank.
Ive been managing all the above on 30Amp for years and only occasionally trip the master 30A breaker if I forget or if someone else is cooking and does not know the routine.
I always keep the batt charger running no matter which of the above devices are running.

Dual 30A cord would be nice if you have access to dual 30A at the dock ped.
Single 50A would also depend on ped access plus the shore cord is thicker and requires more storage space when in transit, some 50Amp boats have a Glendinning cablemaster installed which also depends on storage space.

-Karl
1986 Sedan 32'. Twin Chrysler 360in^3, 275hp.
Forum member since 1998.
Bryank97
Tin star

Post by Bryank97 »

Just curious, do you have amp gauges in your boat?

Now i have only seen my boat twice (bought it out of state end of season), but i believe i only have a voltage gauge. Adding amp gauges would help keep and eye on that.

But you are correct, I am sure i could manage on one cord.
I plan on putting my boat on Lake Erie, I will have to check on availability of 50amp shore power service. I know on the Rivers its pretty common, I have never boated on the Great Lakes yet.
1988 Marinette 32 Sedan
Erie, PA
Twin 318 Chryslers 240HP
GB49
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by GB49 »

Yes. Your 1988 comes with AC volt and AMP gauges. They are behind a small door on bottom right of lower helm.
I have a 86, 32' sedan and it also has both gauges plus I added a DC voltage gauge for each battery. You will find both AC gauges on most/all Marinettes except for maybe the very oldest models.

Safety tip: Be sure to inspect the shore cord(s) and the cockpit socket for any melted or burn marks. This can happen over time and will add resistance & current draw at those connections. I generally spray all connections each spring with contact cleaner spray.
Forum member since 1998.
Joe
Tin star

Post by Joe »

Hello. I have a 1988 32 sedan with factory Ac. It has only 1 30 Amp. I in stalled a 3kw westerbeke and a single shore power switch. Been working fine. I almost never use the electric stove. I use a grill. I have the factory electric water heater / also runs off the engine. I have not had any need for a second 30, or a 50. In my experience the 30 amps plugs are more common.
1988 sedan flybridge. Black / White. 318 240 hp Aluminum aft deck hard top. Louisville Ky . Tartans landing. " KNOCKEFELLERS"
Bryank97
Tin star

Post by Bryank97 »

Thanks Guys,

Joe I am surprised to hear that your factory ac boat only had a single 30 amp. Knowing this I might have to consider leaving it at a single 30 amp service.

Now can I ask where are your ac discharge vents located? I am thinking 1 in the salon, 1 in the galley, and 1 in the v berth.
I am not sure where the factory placed the vents?
In the v berth, I can come up the chest of drawers and discharge out the top.
The salon I am not really sure? the floor maybe?
The galley i am sure can come up through the rear wall of the dinette and blow across the dinette.

That salon concerns me. I would hate to put in the the wrong spot and have to move it later.
1988 Marinette 32 Sedan
Erie, PA
Twin 318 Chryslers 240HP
GB49
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by GB49 »

Not sure if my AC is factory but I suspect it was installed by the dealer at purchase. There is a vent in cabinet between salon and galley and a vent on top of hanging locker in fwd cabin.

I split off the hanging locker vent to shoot directly into the V-berth. Blows air around v-berth very well.
Also added a vent in the head. This also works very well.

I was told by an old AC guy years ago that you can't over vent. Most units unfortunately are under vented from the factory, causing freeze issues etc.

My AC unit was installed in the "wine cellar" or the "hell hole" as its called especially when trying work on things in there and your legs and neck cramp up, feels real good.
Forum member since 1998.
Bryank97
Tin star

Post by Bryank97 »

I was planning on installing my unit in the dinette. Either in the section closest to the stern, or the closest to the window. whichever would fit more practically. Hate to give up too much storage, but i think its a worthy trade.

Good tip on the vents, I get concerned with the salon. Thats a lot of glass to attract heat, probably wouldn't hurt to have two vents up there
1988 Marinette 32 Sedan
Erie, PA
Twin 318 Chryslers 240HP
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

My '88 FBS sedan had AC/heat pump mounted under aft dinette seat. It fit with some space to spare. Can't recall the brand. water pump was in the bilge next to the fwd part of the port engine. One vent fed the v berth, and was snaked behind clothes locker then up to wall of the v berth (port/aft)...the other one went into the cabinet at the helm. One outlet with louvers. I aimed some toward the galley, some toward the salon.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Bryank97
Tin star

Post by Bryank97 »

Did you have a single 30 amp cord? or 2- 30 amp cords?
1988 Marinette 32 Sedan
Erie, PA
Twin 318 Chryslers 240HP