LM 318 carburetors - Rochesters

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
Gregorystarks
New poster

LM 318 carburetors - Rochesters

Post by Gregorystarks »

Anybody got a good source for rebuilt carbs?
32 ft Marinette Sedan Fly bridge
LM 318's
Chrysler Ignition
Rochester Carbs
Blue Sky
Lake Norris, Lafollette, Tn.
barkleydave
Site Admin

Re: LM 318 carburetors - Rochesters

Post by barkleydave »

There are several good rebuilders out there.
My experience has been mixed with rebuilt carbs. Never seems to be a complete success.

There are kits out there for the Rochesters and excellent how to videos.

Most are just replacing the old quads with new Edlebrook 1409 carbs (think that is the right number)
They are a straight forward change out with the only change being you will need to wire an electric choke.

I am sure others will chime in with specifics.

safe harbors,
dave
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain
Cabinfever
Tin star

Post by Cabinfever »

The PO of my boat installed the Edelbrock carb, it is a very good carb. It must have been something someone had laying around though, because it is a manual choke model, and it's not hooked up.......yet. It starts fine, but some time in the future I need to figure out how to make the old heat riser choke work with my carb or convert it to electric choke, if I can find a cable long enough I'll leave it a manual choke, then I won't have to worry about anything not working properly. Right now I have to give it a little throttle to get it to fire up. A bonus to the Edelbrock is they are super easy to rebuild if needed and there are no gaskets to leak below the fuel level, like a Holley or something of that nature has.
Joe
1977 28 Express
Single 318
(RESTORATION IS ALL THE ROUTINE MATIANANCE AT ONCE)
yooper
Aluminum Star

Post by yooper »

I bought three books on rochester carbs. Studied them carefully and found a lot of rebuild videos on-line. Then I went around to all the motorheads and part shop employees asking about local mechanics that rebuild carbs. I found a guy who rebuilt mine for $75 apiece plus parts with a one day turn around. I had to remove and install them. Here is what I remember. There are some swaged in plugs underneath the carbs. The early ones are prone to leak. The books say how to fix these. Mine were OK. The kit does not include new microscreen filters. Old ones can be cleaned but I was able to find new ones. The rebuilder sent me back to get solid floats he didn't like the soldered tin ones in the kit. He also found the correct thick composite gaskets in his back room. You still need to set up the idle mixture and speed screws. I couldn't get the idle low enough without stalling out. I was disgusted and ready to junk the carbs. That wasn't the problem. The problem was rusted out and broken featherweight springs in the Prestolite distributors. The advance weight were not returning to home. I notice a lot of forum members junk both the original rochester carbs and prestolite distributors. Both can be reconditioned. I decided to farm out the carburetor because I wanted some expert input and a gallon of cleaner was $25.
Gregorystarks
New poster

Post by Gregorystarks »

Thanks for your comments guys! Probably will rebuild the carbs I have and give it a good tune up, will check out the auto advance in the distributors.
32 ft Marinette Sedan Fly bridge
LM 318's
Chrysler Ignition
Rochester Carbs
Blue Sky
Lake Norris, Lafollette, Tn.
Trowerpower
Aluminum Star

Post by Trowerpower »

I found a source for rebuilt quadrajet carburetors with mechanical or electric chokes called "I-5 Automotive" in Riverside, California. $285 each plus shipping with no core replacement. Also we installed new distributors from "Performance Distributors" in Memphis, Tn. They build distributors specifically for your engine with about a two to three week delivery. Our 318's happy! Our boat has never run better! They are similar to the (GM HEI) system but with features specifically for your engine and they are cheaper than the MSD systems. The distributors are $385 including the coil plus their good spark plug wires at $99 a set. Happy motoring!
Trower Power
1987 32ft Marinette Sedan Flybridge
Blue Sky
twin 392 Chrysler Stroker Motors
Performance Distributors
750 Edlebrocks
fresh water cooled
1.5 to 1 velva-drives
Onan 6.5kw gen set
barkleydave
Site Admin

Post by barkleydave »

Sounds good.

Are they approved for marine use? (fuel leak line from fuel pump plumbed into side of carb)
Also Flame arrestor?

Distributors great price!

safe boating,

dave
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain
jmonday
Aluminum Star

Post by jmonday »

My 1409 works well . if your setup runs the
Pvc valve to the carb the 1409 will not have the port drilled for that you either have to drill and tap it or run them into the breather.
Jeff Monday (Blue Mondays)
1973 28 ft Express single 318 1976 StarCraft Islander 1961 Sea Nymph
Lower River rd
Rabbit Hash KY
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Quadra-Jets use an very different intake manifold from the Carter AFBs. The Edelbrock 1409s go right on the Carter-type intake (but the fame arrestor is different).

I've had good luck with the Edlebrocks.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
ukester
Tin star

Post by ukester »

1409 is the way to go-never had good luck rebuilding these carbs.
mark ucakar