Hard Starting

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
fpc310
Tin star

Hard Starting

Post by fpc310 »

I have the standard mechanical fuel pump supplying a 1409 carb. I’ve noticed that the starboard engine seems to take a bit of cranking before it will begin to turn over. I would say about 30 total seconds of cranking. Ignition system is brand new (electronic, high voltage). Once it lights up, it runs fine. It also will restart fine in the same day. However, wait a week and the symptom returns.

Port engine is the same exact setup and runs fine, starts fine. Could this possibly be a fuel delivery issue? I’ve replaced all of the filters in the line. The 1409 carb was bought used w/ unknown history. I was told that it was used for just a few hours. The physical condition seems to match that claim.
Todd
1983 32’ SedanFlybridge
Twin 318 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Hard Starting

Post by EWRice »

The number one cause I see for this (if the carb is not a Quadrajet) is failing check valves in the fuel pumps. They will slowly syphon the fuel out of the carb and drain the pump dry.
Muskegon Lake
1972 32' Express flybridge
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
1963 Thompson Super Sea Lancer
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

If it turns out to be the fuel pump, you can purchase them at Go2Marine.com. I had to replace mine (starboard engine) last year. Cost was 94.32 .

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

My old boat did that to me regularly. The carb was empty after sitting a week or so, as I proved by removing the top! (I'm anal.)

You can see if that's your problem as well by CAREFULLY adding some fuel into the carb before trying to start her up (after sitting a week). If it tries to go (and does), that's your problem.

Why some carbs/ installations do this while others do not baffles me! My 19 foot boat's Mercruiser does the same thing, so I added an outboard-style bulb before the fuel pump to pump gas into the carb first. Not sure it's USCG legal, but it sure works!

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Busia »

Look down the throat of the carb and pump the throttle. If there is gas in the float bowl the accelerator pump will squirt gas .
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

That's a good idea as long as the accelerator pump is working properly. And that might be another reason for hard starting (if it's not).

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
barkleydave
Site Admin

Post by barkleydave »

It is common with quads that after sitting a week... the fuel will drain off. Actually this is a good thing. Fuel sitting in the carbs for long periods can cause problems. Anyway you do not need to crank for 30 sec. (that is a long time and very hard on starters) . Crank for only a few seconds... stop...pump throttle and repeat. Do this usually 3-4 times and off they will go. You do not overheat your starter motor and draw your batteries down.

I start mine once a week even if I am not going out. If for no other reason keeps fresh fuel in the line etc.
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain