Topside Helm cable too long??

cantolina

Topside Helm cable too long??

Post by cantolina »

Hello again!

Here is my first M-Specific question.

In looking over the topside helm, I discovered that the outer ring in the original Steermaster steering box was broken. I wasn't surprised, because the steering was very stiff when I first inspected it. I kind of put it down to old cable or lack of lube.

After I bought her, I discovered that the length of the topside helm cable might possibly be impeding free movement.

The picture shown here shows the topside helm cable, being forced down, and back up, behind the salon stairs. Its literally kinked by overlength in the 2-3' range, in that space (where my hot H2O unit is) before the engine room.
Topside helm cable.JPG
Anyone have the length of the topside helm cable for a 1975 32' Sedan FB?

Does this picture also concern you?

Thanks!

Chuck
Venture II
Chuck
32' Sedan FB
Venture II
Port Colborne, ONT
Tuggle
Aluminum Star

Re: Topside Helm cable too long??

Post by Tuggle »

At this point you may want to consider changing over to hydraulic steering.
"Deplorable", 1975 32' Express, Twin 318's, Raw Water Cooled, Lake Lanier, Ga.
ddependo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by ddependo »

Chuck, I think it is hard to find cable that long anymore. It worked when it was new unless someone has changed it. Fastjeft has a good lubrication process on his website. The wires in the photo might be a problem if they are hot.
Wayne
1973 32 express fly bridge
Chattanooga
"Southern Lady"
cantolina

Post by cantolina »

Wayne- It was either routed incorrectly, or was replaced and its simply too long. Extra friction may have caused the break in the topside steering box, as mentioned.
I've found sources for the cables, but not the steering box, or its parts. :(

Tuggle- I may certainly go that route, eventually, but for right now, I just want to get her home safely. :)
Chuck
32' Sedan FB
Venture II
Port Colborne, ONT
cantolina

Post by cantolina »

Holy cow! Boatdesigns.com had the steering ring that I needed. Now to figure out the proper sized cable!
I think I'm going to measure the existing cable's jacket length by measuring tape (as it would be in a straight line), add 18", and round up.
Are we sure no one knows the right length for a 75 Sedan FB upper helm cable? :)
Chuck
32' Sedan FB
Venture II
Port Colborne, ONT