Chrysler 360 will not start post degreasing...

carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Chrysler 360 will not start post degreasing...

Postby carl » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:33 pm

The Chrysler 360 in my 1979 28' FBS was starting and running just fine. Today I degreased the motor and after spraying it down with water it will not start, she cranks but wont start. I pulled the distributor cap and dried it out along with every wire connection pulling them apart and drying them as well. Everything was wet but I dried it all out and she cranks over but still wont start. I have electronic ignition no points. My batteries are both good and I was sure to check both the 25 amp and 50 amp circuit breakers on the motor and they were not tripped. Any ideas as to where I should be looking, water was definitely the culprit but I cant figure it out...HELP!!! Letting her sit overnight in hopes that whatever it is dries up over the next 12 hours but I sure could use any of your suggestions.
1990 Marinette 32' Sedan Fly Bridge
Twin Crusader 350's
Chickamauga Lake, Tennessee

carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Chrysler 360 will not start post degreasing...

Postby carl » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:11 pm

Turns out the Electronic Control Module is Bad. The guys over at the Marinette FaceBook page figured it out for me. It was on its way out because the potting material had already dripped onto my motor before I degreased it, I thought it was just yellow grease. The water finished it off. Is there anything "Marine" about these? One guy who owns a shop that sells them is telling me that it is "Marine Specific" and he charges $131. Another guy is telling me they are automotive and I just looked it up at Autozone and its under $40. It looks exactly the same in the picture.
Attachments
3.JPG
1.JPG
2.JPG
4.JPG
Last edited by carl on Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twin Crusader 350's

javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Postby javalin390 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:19 pm

Wow Carl, that's ugly. Can't remember what and/or if there is a marine specific module (unlike the ballast and other explosion proof electrical devices).
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio

Fastjeff
Site Admin

Postby Fastjeff » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:39 am

The Autozone (and other) units are the SAME. And don't worry if they ask you for a "4 or 5 pin" unit--they work the same.

Jeff

PS: Suggest you buy two and have a spare on hand.
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington

carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Postby carl » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:07 am

I installed a new ignition control module, the engine cranks but still wont fire, not even a pop, like no spark. Should I change out the ballast resistor? I pulled out the resistor and I don't see any heat damage or burn marks, I realize the fault would be internal and not visible but is there a way to test the ballast?
Twin Crusader 350's

Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Postby Busia » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:40 am

Find out if you have a spark ! Just pull the center wire off the distributor from the coil. Place it 1/4 inch from the block or some other grounded part. You might want to hold it there by weighing it down with something. Crank the engine and watch for a spark. Then pull off any flame arrester / air filter and pump the throttle. Does your accelerator pump squirt gas down the throat of the carb? If you don't have spark, fix that. If you don't have fuel to the carb, fix that. The ballast resistor should have continuity across the terminals. Very low resistance. Check it with an ohmmeter.
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette express. (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW

Fastjeff
Site Admin

Postby Fastjeff » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:26 am

The "I" terminal on the starter solenoid sends 12 volts to the coil during cranking. Put a meter on the '+' coil terminal and see if the 12 volts gets there. If it does, and there's still no spark, I suspect the Hall Effect sensor in the distributor (or some other item) is faulty.

Jeff

PS: Note that, IF spark is present, all these attempts to start it could have fouled the HELL out of your plugs. Pulling and cleaning them (or putting in new one) cures that.
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington

Tuggle
Aluminum Star

Postby Tuggle » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:58 am

A set of DUI distributors will solve all these problems. Been there done that!
"Deplorable", 1975 32' Express, Twin 318's, Raw Water Cooled, Lake Lanier, Ga.

carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Postby carl » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:50 am

Installed eight new spark plugs today, tried to start the motor, she cranked over but did not fire, not even a pop like it has no spark at all. Even though I had checked spark earlier and I had spark then (a couple of days ago) I just checked it again, grounding one of my spark plugs to the head, cranked it and no spark at the spark plug, pulled the center lead out of the distributor cap coming from the coil, positioned it next to the head, cranked the motor and no spark coming from the coil. I then proceeded to purchase and install a new coil, tested it for spark and still no spark from the new coil. So I have no spark at all. Already changed out the ignition control module, the ballast resistor, spark plugs and the coil. Attached is a picture of the pickup I just removed from inside the distributor, is that the correct name for this component a "Pick Up"?, is the center round rotating component with the eight raised ridges called a reluctor? Anyway I think this has to be my source of trouble. Does this pick up look familiar to any of you guys, do you know who makes it and where I can get one? Do you know of a test procedure for me to perform on it to confirm it is good or bad? Still struggling and still learning...staying positive and determined to get this motor running.
Attachments
P1030003.JPG
Twin Crusader 350's

Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Postby Busia » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:36 pm

Good, you have narrowed down the problem to no spark. This is an automotive distributor, look at a Motors manual (your library will have them and make you a copy of the pages you need ) or ask at a NAPA store for an info sheet, it will have a lot of info for you. Get a spark from the coil first and then get the spark through the distributor and to the plugs.
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette express. (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW