Under deck wood floor and "pegboard" type?

Fresh & Waste Water Systems, Climate Control, etc.
HighlandGent
New poster

Under deck wood floor and "pegboard" type?

Post by HighlandGent »

I am very new to boat ownership and so I don't know if I need to be looking for special "marine grade" anything when I am shopping for replacement parts and materials. One of the boards below the rear deck of my 1988 32 FBSD is rotten through, as well as the whole box structure under that hatch. I'd like to build my own but I don't know what's necessary to hold up on a boat. Or maybe I am just putting too much thought in to it. And is the insulation in the box or the perforated board holding in the insulation anything special? Any advice would be helpful.
Highland Lady
1988 32’ Sedan FB
Essex, MD on the Chesapeake Bay
Twin Chrysler 318’s (rebuilt this winter)
Westerbeke 6.5kw Genset
Used as a houseboat for 16 years.
Resurrected in 2016!
jralbert
Site Admin

Re: Under deck wood floor and "pegboard" type?

Post by jralbert »

marine grade is a must for certain engine parts such as carbs that don't backfire -- it's the law and equally important, your life. But "marine grade" for other items such as decking is also a term of art that most often doesn't have an specs so buyer beware.
Rotted decking happens to M's because the vinyl cover the mfr used traps water. The decks do last a surprisingly long time and then one day your foot goes through. When you replace, you can use an exterior rated plywood but I'd coat it well with a water sealer or paint and make sure you coat the ends/sides, too. Some have suggested a tough epoxy paint.
The insulation on that hatch box was for some small amount of soundproofing. Not sure why they used perforated board on it. Maybe for ventilation.

If I were doing the project and had sonme extra bucks handy, I'd use a synthetic material such as Plasteak and never worry again about rot or maintenance.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Busia »

Lots of posts here about replacing the deck. Myself, I put down aluminum for my deck, screwed down with countersunk stainless sheet metal screws. I think you will find it to be cheaper, faster, easier, stronger, and noisier than wood. Also it is easy to remove the screws and lift the deck when you need to work down there. I like an aluminum deck on an aluminum hull.
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
SunbeamIV
Tin star

Post by SunbeamIV »

Welcome! I used 5/8” marine grade plywood and covered with “Lonseal” vinyl covering. I was able to use the old pieces as patterns, and apply the covering at home, then drop them in and screw them back down in the spring.
Attachments
92066688-84BC-4EDB-8DAF-14D25D0C24DC.jpeg
92066688-84BC-4EDB-8DAF-14D25D0C24DC.jpeg (59.56 KiB) Viewed 16568 times
Scott, 32' 1989 sedan flybridge
Located: Edgewater Yacht Club
Lake Erie
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by javalin390 »

Previous owner replaced my deck with aluminum also, then put indoor/outdoor carpet on it. Have to replace the rotten carpet every few years, but not the deck !
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio