Chris craft 350q engine swap?

seef158
Aluminum Star

Chris craft 350q engine swap?

Post by seef158 »

I found a pair of 350q engines for sale locally for a steal of a deal. They have v drives which I would not use but I'm wondering if one could be mated to my velvet drive trans? The 350q is set up so the trans attaches to the front of the engine for those not familiar. I am looking at swapping one of these engines for the 318 I currently have in my 28 express single. Any input or experience would be appreciated.
1972 28' express single 318, working on getting the bugs worked out.
forest lake, mn
Duluth, mn
Washburn, wi
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Chris craft 350q engine swap?

Post by EWRice »

Don't think I have ever seen a Q with a V drive. The standard Qs with Paragon gears share all the same mounting and input splines as a velvet drive. The stringer mounts may be another thing, but your BigM is already set up for the standard velvet drive "ape hanger" mounts.

One thing to be aware of on the Qs is parts. They have some very unique to them parts that are becoming difficult to get. The F engines would be a better choice because they can share parts with Crusader (which is what they became, more or less), and some with Merc & OMC. The intakes on the Q engines (which are like none other) have a water sump under the carb that is notorious for not getting flushed when winterized. Every one I have had apart had a cracked intake. Most had been welded. I do have a F engine if needed.
Muskegon Lake
1972 32' Express flybridge
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
1963 Thompson Super Sea Lancer
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson
seef158
Aluminum Star

Post by seef158 »

Thanks for the reply Eric. I don't really "need" an engine, mine runs great, but this guy is asking 300 for the pair, I would need to remove them but I've done that before, should be no sweat. My thought was to scoop them up, keep one engine and accessories and part or sell the other, then when my 318 finally if ever bites the dust I'd have an engine laying there for it.
On the unique parts to the q, can you convert the intake to say an aftermarket or stock mercruiser Intake? I'm assuming the block and heads are the same as any sbc?
forest lake, mn
Duluth, mn
Washburn, wi
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by EWRice »

The intake cannot be swapped over to a standard intake very easy, if at all. The cooling ports, distributor mount and carb flange are all their own. Distributors alone are probably worth the $300. Block, heads, exhaust (for CC or Marine Power) and all internals would be universal. I believe the flywheels on the Qs are unique. I know they are smaller than a standard sbc flywheel. Oil pans, timing cover, balancer, flywheel housing, intake and distributors are Q only. The distributors will only work with the Q intake and are an oddity. If the engines are runners, I would get them, but convert the keeper to flywheel aft.
Muskegon Lake
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Oh God! I thought all of those confusing monstrosities were melted down for scrap by now?

For those of you who never seen one of these beasts, the drive is off the nose of the engine with the distributor mounted on a housing on the flywheel end (that spins in the breeze!) Try figuring out which way is the 'normal' rotation on these and which is reverse! It's hard enough with "normal" engines!

Jeff

PS: For you knowledgeable SB Chevy guys, note where the parts are located. The goofy plan was to lower the motor a few inches by having the oil pump forward. Arrrrgh!
Attachments
Chris Craft setup-2.JPG
Chris Craft setup-1.JPG
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
honestcharlie56
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by honestcharlie56 »

my advice is to find the appropriate Chris Craft and restore it now that you have found the right power for her.
1990 Marinette 32 Sedan Flybridge "Hubba" Lake Charles, LA
Twin Chrysler 318's
seef158
Aluminum Star

Post by seef158 »

Thanks again for the reply. Not to question you, but to help me understand, if block and heads are standard sbc then why can't I use a different intake paired with a distributor to match the new intake? I'm going to look at these in the next few days so I'm just trying to gather all the info I can find. Thanks again!
forest lake, mn
Duluth, mn
Washburn, wi
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by EWRice »

If you go look at them, you will understand. I believe the pictures that Jeff posted are early Q engines. The later ones fixed some of the weirdness, but added some new weirdness. If you compare a Q and F side by side, you will see that there are lots of little things that would need to be modified to use a standard intake.
Muskegon Lake
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

One would think there are a bunch of Chris Craft owners out there who would love to get their hands on this 'unique' motors. Selling them would allow you to invest in more conventional power.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
seef158
Aluminum Star

Post by seef158 »

Jeff, that is exactly what I'll probably do, sell them whole or part out and keep a block and set of heads and build one up from there. Hopefully I can sell complete, and make some cash. My boat and trailer were paid for by doing this kind of odd stuff on the side, mostly parting out snowmobiles and buying and selling boats and sleds.
forest lake, mn
Duluth, mn
Washburn, wi