Rudder shaft corossion concern.

Things that are of general interest.
martindesign
Aluminum Star

Re: Rudder shaft corossion concern.

Post by martindesign »

Bill. Yeah that would make for a bad day for sure. I wouldn't remove the steering arm or upper bearing while repacking mine has that support plate on the top now so I don't have to worry bout the rudder dropping out. I think there is enough room to lift the top gland nut out of the way and repack without disassembling anything other than removing the bearing plate bolts and nuts.
Machanic, fabricator, carpenter, plumber, electrician, designer, hotrod builder and glutton for punishment. :ugeek: current boat; 1969 Marinette 32 express bridge 440's
Catawba Oh
Roger2
Aluminum Star

Post by Roger2 »

"bearing plate bolts and nuts"?? there are on bearing plates on rudder unless yours is a lot different than mine. There is a swivel with bolts in on the rudder arms.

Roger
"Sea Jay" a 37' Double cabin with twin factory Volvo diesels, 230 HP each. Twin Disk 1.54 Trans turning DynaQuad 19X21 props.
Roger Brown
Petersburg, IL
Garyh
New poster

Re: Anodes

Post by Garyh »

What is best material for anodes: All Magesiamn or aluminum ?
Happy Feet
DougDoty
Tin star

Post by DougDoty »

I would switch to bronze if in the need to redo it. The bronze packing gland should not even touch the rudder if installed and packed correctly. it is a non factor. I believe my packing glands for the rudders rise above my resting waterline, anyone else?
I have realized I gain bilge water when underway beyond that of a shaft drip and it never shows up at rest ??
1984 39 Marinette Sedan, " LIBERTY ONE " Warsaw KY, 440 chryslers, Westerbeke 9.0 kw , 1 3/8" shafts 93 1/4" long and 19x22 dyna quads or, 19x20 DQX's 38.5 MPH GPS best.
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by javalin390 »

went through the rusty rudder situation the first year of ownership of mine. Plastic stuffing boxes, shafts almost rotted in half, bilge pump always running. Got the info off this site, so I had the guy in Dayton Ohio make a set of stainless rudders, Phillips Sheet Metal phone number 937-223-2722. Craftsmanship was excellent, cost was $300 (usually he charges $250, but my starboard rudder had an extra lug on it for the old auto pilot system, which he duplicated) New bronze stuffing boxes with GFI leakproof packing rope (re-furbished the entire steering system at the same time) Second year of ownership...bilge dry, Cpac @ 0.9, no corrosion issues when pulling drydock for last winter, steers easily with one finger like an old 70's Cadillac. Couldn't be happier !
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
martindesign
Aluminum Star

Post by martindesign »

That is who did mine. Nice quality. Ended up reinstalling the support plates and brass bushing housings. I just insulated everything with nylon. It's way stronger and no corrosion issues anymore. To answer above Ka 90 an aluminum alloy is the correct anodes material for all parts of the Marinette.
Machanic, fabricator, carpenter, plumber, electrician, designer, hotrod builder and glutton for punishment. :ugeek: current boat; 1969 Marinette 32 express bridge 440's
Catawba Oh