Post by honestcharlie56 »

disassembled drive on the bench.

1990 Marinette 32 Sedan Flybridge "Hubba" Lake Charles, LA
Twin Chrysler 318's
honestcharlie56
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Sunken 32`

On to the engine. Unlike the port engine, I couldn't reuse any of the pistons from the original boat engine or the core engine I bought. I guess I got real lucky with the port engine considering the donor engines pistons literally had almost ZERO wear on the. Not the case with the stbd side. Original pistons were trash and the pistons from the donor engine looked to be in good shape but didn't measure out the same. It was really odd, one piston was actually "compressed" vertically. So, new pistons we bought! Which means pressing out these old wrist pins and swapping the new pistons onto the original connecting rods. Since this engine will never see high RPM I couldn't find a reason to swap over to floating pins. So stock replacement pistons and wrist pins are what I went with. I pressed a few of them in and really didn't like how much effort it was taking to set the pins, so I swapped over to other method of heating the rod and putting the pins in the freezer. One small but fairly important note about heating the small ends of the rods!! You do NOT need to get the small ends of the rods very hot. I was able to use propane (fairly cool burning) and get the rods just past the point of burning the oil off and the steel browning, which let the pins slide right into place. Getting the steel blue is fine, I suppose, but when you see guys getting after the rods with oxy/acet torches and getting the steel red........that rod is trash.

Twin Chrysler 318's
honestcharlie56
Royal Aluminum Star

The above picture also shows the temporary jig I threw together to set the pin location in the piston. The pin needs to be centered.
Twin Chrysler 318's
honestcharlie56
Royal Aluminum Star

Wrist pin is now in place!

Twin Chrysler 318's
honestcharlie56
Royal Aluminum Star

All the pistons are in! Remember on SB Chryslers: the oiling hole in the rod cap goes to the inside to lube the opposite bank, flat ends of the rods face each other and the beveled end faces the crank, and the notches on the pistons face to the REAR on an opposite rotation engine.

Twin Chrysler 318's
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

That piston that was compressed probably had water in the cylinder. Hope you didn't use the rod!

Jeff

PS: I know you know this: The reverse rotation pistons go in with 'F' facing the rear.
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
honestcharlie56
Royal Aluminum Star

That piston very well could have made an attempt at compressing the "relatively" incompressible. That piston was from the truck block, so hopefully not. I absolutely used the rod, and really do hope its no a problem.
Twin Chrysler 318's
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Me too. Good luck.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
honestcharlie56
Royal Aluminum Star

Fastjeff wrote:That piston that was compressed probably had water in the cylinder. Hope you didn't use the rod!

Jeff

PS: I know you know this: The reverse rotation pistons go in with 'F' facing the rear.
You wouldn't believe the number of people telling me I assembled this engine wrong, including a local engine builder. I'm not sure how people miss the concept....offset is on the wrong side when you reverse the rotation...not hard to comprehend.
Twin Chrysler 318's