Re-power

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
Rockxx
Aluminum Star

Re-power

Post by Rockxx »

Good afternoon to all,
Having spent a miserable, expensive and frustrating 2016 boating season due to engine problems, I've come to the realization that I've got to re-power or get out of boating (again). I purposely bought my 72 28' express for the reason that it was a basic platform that I could handle at my age. Single 318, no generator, no air, manual head, ice box, etc. Summit racing offers a reman marine 318 long block for 2200.00 with free shipping and wondering if anyone has had experience with these folks. Also if I go with this option does anyone have any idea as to what the total swap out would cost. I'm within hauling distance of Chattanooga and would be willing to haul the boat there if one of you Chickamauga folks have any suggestions. Being retired I'm limited as to what resources I can throw at this so any help would be appreciated.

With regards to all,
Rockxx
1972 28' express "Safari"
Single Chrysler 318
Center Hill Lake, Tennessee
honestcharlie56
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Re-power

Post by honestcharlie56 »

Cost is hard to estimate, as alot has to do with your marina/shipyard. If you would be kind enough to thoroughly detail your engine problems we would be glad to help. There are some really knowledgeable folks here!!!
1990 Marinette 32 Sedan Flybridge "Hubba" Lake Charles, LA
Twin Chrysler 318's
Rockxx
Aluminum Star

Post by Rockxx »

A good part of the problem is the availability of a mechanic that's familiar with the old Chrysler engines. I'm 73 and my guy is a year older than me. Started with a dead cylinder and determined that a valve job was in order. Mechanic went down with an injury and lost 5 weeks, after pulling the heads. Reworked both heads and in reinstalling cracked the starboard side as it had been machined the max when reworked. Said it was torqued correctly but who knows. Finally found a replacement head, that had to be reworked, and got it installed. Then found a leak in the starboard manifold and Wayne, dependo, Southern Lady, was kind enough to give me a replacement. Finally in Oct it was supposed to be finished. Ran it, couldn't get better than 2,000 rpm
And the manifold leaked from the end plates. Also had a small oil leak on the recently installed starboard head gasket. Went ahead and winterized and there she sits. payed for the parts but withheld labor until fixed. Will give him a chance to get his money but won't be disappointed if he doesn't return. Looking for alternatives.
Single Chrysler 318
ddependo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by ddependo »

I feel your physical & $$ pain. I have been there. Sometimes I just want to have a new engine when all I need is a Carb or Dist. I would hate to spend the money only to find It was an ignition issue keeping it from going over 2000 rpms. There is a better head gasket out there, {Jeff will know}

My Marina charges about $5,000 for long block & labor to put in a jasper engine.
1973 32 express fly bridge
Chattanooga
"Southern Lady"
Ray4713
Tin star

Post by Ray4713 »

Rockxx,
I think we met back in the fall at H Dock...I am the new owner of "Brown Eyes" Previous owner had a mechanic and really liked him ad he is on Center Hill. I don't have any experience with him but if you want I can give you the contact info. And since I am at Center Hill I will be glad to help or assist.
1987 32' Sedan Flybridge "Brown Eyes"
Twin Chrysler 318s
Center Hill lake, TN
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Hate to say it, but your mechanic is in over his head. No other excuse for so many leakage problems.

The exhaust manifold to riser joints WILL leak water into the motor unless they are spotlessly clean, have new gaskets, and are siliconed on both sides. Also, one has to tighten the 4 bolts correctly: Snug the top two (to hold up the weight), then cross tighten the 4 bolts, going from heavy snug to fully tight. Finally, add a flat or two after the motor warms up. Violate this procedure and water will leak into the motor. (Don't ask!)

The head gaskets should not leak unless: the block/ head is not flat (check with a flat file and bluing), the gasket is faulty somehow (unlikely), or the head was improperly torqued.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by EWRice »

I will second what Jeff said. Other than the rear main seal, you have to work pretty hard to create leaks with new gaskets. Chryslers have large gasket surfaces compared to other automotive engines, and usually seal up tight.
Muskegon Lake
1972 32' Express flybridge
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
1963 Thompson Super Sea Lancer
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Busia »

These boats really are rather simple. Sometimes hard to reach with limited room. A good mechanic should not have a problem if you can get the parts.
If you keep away from complicated electronics and outboards you make things a lot easier. Sometimes we learn the hard way unfortunately. Wish you have better luck in the future. --Ed
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
Rockxx
Aluminum Star

Post by Rockxx »

Thanks to all for the responses to my earlier post. Went to the boat today for the first time since the first of November in order to charge the batteries, which I should have done a month ago. Damn, the old boat was standing tall, pretty clean, bilge dry and no boat smell, even in the head. Per suggestions from several I'm going to address the exhaust manifold water leaks and probably look at replacing the "original" distributor, plus add electronic ignition. Any suggestions on the best replacements for these items would be appreciated. After this I'll address the carb, if needed. Engine has 1200 hours and had good compression when checked prior to the repair work. Ray4713, walked around Brown Eyes while I was there and every thing looked good, except for that 15 degree list to starboard. (Just kidding) that's a damn fine boat..
My regards to all
Rockxx
Single Chrysler 318