Before and After Topside Color Scheme

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Before and After Topside Color Scheme

Post by carl »

BigM
Last edited by carl on Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
MetalHead
Site Admin

Re: Before and After Topside Color Scheme

Post by MetalHead »

On thing to be aware of is dark colors on horizontal surfaces will get hot in the sun.
1959 Family Cruiser - Sold - Gary Dick - 12/05/14
1963 Express 31x10 - Sold - Joe & Ginger Tabor - 01/21/2017
1963 Express 31x8.5 - In Dry Dock - Restore Underway
1987 Sportsman - Lay Lake (Coosa River) Alabama
Big BigM 's Rule !!!
Columbiana, AL
honestcharlie56
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by honestcharlie56 »

excited to see this. my boats paint has literally passed up its lifespan twice.
1990 Marinette 32 Sedan Flybridge "Hubba" Lake Charles, LA
Twin Chrysler 318's
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bill »

BigM
Marinette's always look good from a distance. :D If you look too closely you will find imperfections. :( A new paint job always looks good. 8-)
Keep us posted.
:arrow: bill
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by carl »

BigM
Last edited by carl on Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Good luck, Carl, with the painting project. A few suggestions: First, prep is everything and I'm sure by now you've read enough to know the basic rules of getting a protective skin on the aluminum very quickly after sanding or blasting - within hours. Manufacturers, such as the Awl-Grip people (who I consulted) have tech departments that will coach and supply written how-to's. Next, whatever paint you use on the foredeck should be dull or on the dull side. Your eyes will love you for it as you will be spending much of your boating time looking forward and the glare of shiny paint. will wear you down.

Get a large photo of your boat and try different decorating ideas on the photos until you get to one you like. Because paint schemes are very personal you gotta do what you gotta do and what we say is pretty irrelevant. Except this - some color combinations are not good. A good paint store can show you how this works with house paints. Same is true for boats. keep it simple. Go to the library and look at boat pictures in magazines for ideas.

It's your Marinette and there is no extra value in keeping the design as the factory dictated. It's not some 16th century piece of furniture ruined by even cleaning up a bad finish. The boat isn't being appraised on Antique Roadshow.

Having said it's no one's business but yours how it looks, please do share the final results with us.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Good luck, Carl, with the painting project. A few suggestions: First, prep is everything and I'm sure by now you've read enough to know the basic rules of getting a protective skin on the aluminum very quickly after sanding or blasting - within hours. Manufacturers, such as the Awl-Grip people (who I consulted) have tech departments that will coach and supply written how-to's. Next, whatever paint you use on the foredeck should be dull or on the dull side. Your eyes will love you for it as you will be spending much of your boating time looking forward and the glare of shiny paint. will wear you down.

Get a large photo of your boat and try different decorating ideas on the photos until you get to one you like. Because paint schemes are very personal you gotta do what you gotta do and what we say is pretty irrelevant. Except this - some color combinations are not good. A good paint store can show you how this works with house paints. Same is true for boats. keep it simple. Go to the library and look at boat pictures in magazines for ideas.

It's your Marinette and there is no extra value in keeping the design as the factory dictated. It's not some 16th century piece of furniture ruined by even cleaning up a bad finish. The boat isn't being appraised on Antique Roadshow.

Having said it's no one's business but yours how it looks, please do share the final results with us.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by carl »

BigM
Last edited by carl on Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by EWRice »

Altering the paint job can have an incredible effect on a boat. The blue and white were reversed topside on my boat. Changed the whole look. As stated earlier, darker than white on your deck or cabin top, as cool as it looks, heats things up. I have never had a problem walking on my decks in the sun, but with all the windows closed I could probably cook a pizza on the counter top.
Attachments
Boat_2.jpg
Muskegon Lake
1972 32' Express flybridge
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
1963 Thompson Super Sea Lancer
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson
carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by carl »

BigM
Last edited by carl on Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.