Waste Tank - 1989 32 Sedan Flybridge

Fresh & Waste Water Systems, Climate Control, etc.
ericinga
Aluminum Star

Waste Tank - 1989 32 Sedan Flybridge

Post by ericinga »

This should be a quick answer for someone...

Where is the waste tank?

I'm assuming this boat has the 18 gal. waste tank. I've narrowed the location to two areas: 1) Below the head or 2) Below the galley. The macerator pump discharge hose routes to the stern along the starboard side. The previous owners never removed the macerator pump. The wiring is disconnected but pump is still in the system. I need to get it out and close off the hull fitting.

I plan to add holding tank capacity but want to plan an entire system change before tearing everything apart.

The boat needs more fresh water capacity. That appears to be an easier fix than the waste water. Plenty of space beneath the salon.

Eric
Eric Spies
1989 32 SDFB
Twin 318s
Lake Lanier, GA
Marinette Boat
barkleydave
Site Admin

Re: Waste Tank - 1989 32 Sedan Flybridge

Post by barkleydave »

Keep in mind that just adding water storage capacity can have a significant impact on your boats performance and station.
Water weights 8.35 lbs per gallon. Adding 50 gallons adds more than 400 lbs!

It is best to add equal capacity to the opposite side of the existing tank to balance. That is where the problem begins. Moving forward or aft also effects keel balance.

My 29 has the original Traveler head with a 9 gallon tank under it and then a macerator pump which grinding and pumping waste aft to a 20 gallon tank in the stern. It is a MSD Type III system. Starboard Deck Pump Out.

Lake Lanier I am sure you already know is a MSD Type III No Discharge impoundment. I would like more fresh water capacity and about the only location is under the V berth.

Safe Boating,

dave
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain
ericinga
Aluminum Star

Post by ericinga »

Dave-

Yes. Very aware of the no discharge rule in Lake Lanier. There were two large vessels in our marina cited by the DNR this year for discharging waste. I heard the fines were in excess of $10,000 per vessel. Hence, the reason I am concerned about the macerator pump. It is connected to a thru hull discharge fitting.

Thank you for the caution about water weight and placement. The location in mind is opposite the current tank on the port side under the salon. Would likely add 35 gallons to offset the current weight on the opposite side.

Planning changes before making them.

First, I need to find the waste tank.
Eric Spies
1989 32 SDFB
Twin 318s
Lake Lanier, GA
Marinette Boat
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Realistically, what responsible person would deliberately discharge the head into a lake people swim in?

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
barkleydave
Site Admin

Post by barkleydave »

30 years as a conservation officer it was a common violation.
I personally inspected vessels with direct dischrage.
Some were pretty well hidden. I found one hidden inside a dummy holding tank!

Dave
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain
ericinga
Aluminum Star

Post by ericinga »

I would rather comply with the law than try to evade an inspection. Swimming in sewage is not my idea of fun.

It's sorta like swimming near private docks and in marinas. You just don't do it. Never know if or when electricity is in the water.
Eric Spies
1989 32 SDFB
Twin 318s
Lake Lanier, GA
Marinette Boat
TinChips
Tin star

Post by TinChips »

It's very likely your waste tank is underneath the V-Berth. I replaced mine a couple of years ago and used the Ronco Plastics RH-B233 20 gallon one. You may find one bigger but I went the safe route.
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

I managed to install an 18 gallon tank under the Vee berth. Best modification I ever made on the old gal.

Jeff

PS: I have photos of the install if you want them.
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
ericinga
Aluminum Star

Post by ericinga »

Craig-

I wish it was located under the v-berth. That would simplify the changes. The macerator pump is located forward of the head with a discharge hose routed to the stern along the hull. It is not under the salon or in the stern. I'm guessing it is located under the galley. With my luck, it will be an aluminum tank that will leak later this year.

Jeff-

Would love to see pics of the install.
Eric Spies
1989 32 SDFB
Twin 318s
Lake Lanier, GA
Marinette Boat
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

As would I Jeff...
I remember you had posted them on the old site. It seems that I need to install one under the front berth as well. Did you notice any effect on performance with a "full load" in the tank while under way?

Thx,
Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.