Water system demand pump

Things that are of general interest.
Rockxx
Aluminum Star

Water system demand pump

Post by Rockxx »

Well, here we go again. Spent last night on the boat, grilled steaks, watched the sunset while drifting the main Chanel on Center hill lake. Watched a beautiful moon rise and headed back to the slip for overnight. The demand pump worked fine
Last night but on waking up this morning had no water. Pump isn't working and wondering if anyone might have experience with
A SHURflo pentair water pump. I checked fuses on the fuse block with my meter and none blown that I can see. Thinking that perhaps an inline fuse that I've not located as yet may be the problem, but am going to have to pull some panels to get good access. The PO replaced the pump in 2009 and I have the installation manual, but it doesn't indicate an inline fuse. Perhaps the pressure switch is bad? Have had this type pump on a couple of other boats and they were pretty well bullet proof. Anyway, looking for ideas prior to starting dismantling the V birth.
Regards,
Rockxx
1972 28' express "Safari"
Single Chrysler 318
Center Hill Lake, Tennessee
Tranquilo
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Water system demand pump

Post by Tranquilo »

I hate when things just decide to quit working.

See if you have power to the pump. If not, use a jumper to momentarily put power to it to see how it behaves.

If you have power and it's not working, try either disconnecting the pressure switch wire so it can't get a "full" signal

Thats about all there is to these things. Power and a pressure switch.

A blown fuse usually tells you something is messed up but I fried my distributor due to a tachometer momentarily shorting out. Sometimes they find food after midnight...

2x 1973 28 Express - Single 318
New electrical panels, water system and velvet drive
Miami FL & Catawba OH
barkleydave
Site Admin

Post by barkleydave »

Power and ground is about all there is too it. If good then time for a new pump. The motors are not rebuildable. You can replace the diaphragms but not much else. I lost mine after 10 years it did the same thing...just did not answer the bell. Was not that expensive to replace.

safe boating,
dave
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain
DougDoty
Tin star

Post by DougDoty »

I have found a wire off the pressure switch a couple times helping other folks, laying close to position from years in position but not plugged in. In the end you have to just dig down to it and check it out, power and ground = run or it's bad. I have been lucky my 1984 OEM par pump has only asked for a 12 volt motor replacement after getting tired at 30 years. I love the old original par pumps but wow are they expensive these days.
1984 39 Marinette Sedan, " LIBERTY ONE " Warsaw KY, 440 chryslers, Westerbeke 9.0 kw , 1 3/8" shafts 93 1/4" long and 19x22 dyna quads or, 19x20 DQX's 38.5 MPH GPS best.