seam caulking

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
sittinduck

seam caulking

Post by sittinduck »

There are several places where a vertical and horizontal come together that I have tried to fair with various products over the years but they seem to keep cracking. I wonder if there is a stretchable caulk that can be painted that covers the weld seems and moves rather than sets up and cracks. Any advice? and thanks. gk
martindesign
Aluminum Star

Re: seam caulking

Post by martindesign »

I don't know if it will work but quad is really good caulk that stays flexible and is paintable..
Machanic, fabricator, carpenter, plumber, electrician, designer, hotrod builder and glutton for punishment. :ugeek: current boat; 1969 Marinette 32 express bridge 440's
Catawba Oh
collins69s
Tin star

Post by collins69s »

5200 or 4200
1970 42' Inland Seas Aluminum Cruiser
Inland C's
Twin Star Power Turbo 7.3 EFI Diesels
ZF Trannys
Port Clinton, OH

1972 32' Marinette FB Express
Siff Surf
Twin Chrysler 318s
Original Prestolite Distributors (No Issues)
Port Clinton, OH
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

5200 for sure! Nothing sticks like that stuff--but you have to make the surface perfectly dry, grease less and dust less.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bill »

BigM

I do not think you would want to use 5200 as a flairing compound. :?
I use Interlux Watertite.
http://www.pbsboatstore.com/interprotec ... gQodatcOjg :D

bill
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Between 5200 and 4200, I'd lean to 4200 because 5200 is very difficult to remove (it is sold as permanent but I once saw an article in the Boat DIY magazine that described the stuff to use to loosen it. Sorry, my brain didn't retain the name of the solvent. Boat US bought the magazine and may have an archive for members.

By the way, if the crack is too wide - say + 1/4" - that may be took wide for any caulks to work.

(
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
collins69s
Tin star

Post by collins69s »

You can caulk some serious wide gaps with 5200. Even if you had to put some sort of packing material in the gap. But a 1/4 gap would be no prob for 5200 or 4200 alone. Remember it's basically liquid rubber. People use it to make gaskets and othe rubber-y items as well. It's not that big of a deal to remove depending on what you are putting it on, but why would you want to remove it anyway? I prefer the fast dry flavor. Finish the caulked surface smooth with a rag pretty wet with min spirits and you'll be amazed at how good it looks.
1970 42' Inland Seas Aluminum Cruiser
Inland C's
Twin Star Power Turbo 7.3 EFI Diesels
ZF Trannys
Port Clinton, OH

1972 32' Marinette FB Express
Siff Surf
Twin Chrysler 318s
Original Prestolite Distributors (No Issues)
Port Clinton, OH
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

One nasty thing about 5200; when you open that tube, plan on using it ALL for it will be hardened up in the tube next time you want to use it. In this, it's a hundred times worse than silicone, and far more expensive.

Jeff (the original Cheapskate)
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
sittinduck

Post by sittinduck »

thanks all. I guess I wasn't clear. I am not really sealing anything, just trying to get a inside, rounded fairing in those joints that doesn't crack out over time because it doesn't flex. The 4200 sounds like the best bet. gk