A little crazy?

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Re: A little crazy?

Post by Fastjeff »

That's very impressive speed and mpg figures! My win 360s equipped, 32 footer did 20 mph at a best of 1.2 mpg.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

TinLizzy wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:01 pm Tracy, I also am very curious. On a 25 Bayliner flybridge with a single 454, my father switched out a bravo 2 for a 3 about 15 years ago. It gained about 3 to 5 mph at 3200 cruise. Pessimistically I think it will run about 32 to 33 mph at my cruise rpm of 3,000. Optimistically, I will be tickled if it will run about 35 mph. The drives came with 24 pitch props, which may or may not work, I won't know until my first water test. I have a single set of 26 pitch, so I would have to get one more set if the 24's don't work. I pulled the prop shafts out and looked at the gears and bearings and they looked good, so hopefully I can get a few years out of them.
As somebody who has taken a Marinette hull way way outside its design parameters. Just be careful running those speeds for the first time. My experience is on a 28, my 32 is stock.
The 28s would run 40 from the factory and I found it is pretty stable at 45. At 50 it gets really some horrible chine walk. At 60 I don't think the hull is touching the water and it is scary.
Beings that the 32s were made to run 25, if it is linear, 30 will probably be just fine but 35 might be a bit faster than it should be.
HoHum 1969 Marinette 28 Sportsman dive boat with twin 250hp outboards
Andianna 1977 Marinette 32 Express
Scuba diving charters on the Great Lakes
www.belowthegrade.com
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

45 mph in a Marinette! Yikes!

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
TinLizzy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by TinLizzy »

Tracy, I will definitely be careful. I have hit 44 w.o.t during prop tests. It does feel a bit strange, but not unstable. I'm hoping to be able to trim a bit more with the duo prop, which I think will help that, but I also only go w.o.t for testing. I have ran it at 35 mph on shorter outing, and I handled well with the Bravo 1, so I anticipate it will also be stable with the Bravo 3. Hardest part is the waiting. We have had an extremely mild winter, but as of late, winter has come back with vengeance. We are in a winter storm warning as I write this. I think it will be mid/late May before I can launch it to find out.
Rodney
1975 28 Express-Twin 350 Chevy's, SOLD
1990 32 Express--Twin Mercruiser 454 with Bravo I outdrives
Portage Canal Waterway-Upper Peninsula,Lake Superior
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

TinLizzy wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:28 pm Tracy, I will definitely be careful. I have hit 44 w.o.t during prop tests. It does feel a bit strange, but not unstable. I'm hoping to be able to trim a bit more with the duo prop, which I think will help that, but I also only go w.o.t for testing. I have ran it at 35 mph on shorter outing, and I handled well with the Bravo 1, so I anticipate it will also be stable with the Bravo 3. Hardest part is the waiting. We have had an extremely mild winter, but as of late, winter has come back with vengeance. We are in a winter storm warning as I write this. I think it will be mid/late May before I can launch it to find out.
I assumed you would be careful. I was just taken by surprise how quickly it went from stable to holy crap. I am just wrapping up the seakeeper install on my 28 with the outboards. Hoping to get it in the water for testing mid-May as well.
www.belowthegrade.com
TinLizzy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by TinLizzy »

I will be interested in seeing how the seakeeper works. Sounds like everyone loves them, everything except the price, quite steep. Good luck with the install.
Rodney
1975 28 Express-Twin 350 Chevy's, SOLD
1990 32 Express--Twin Mercruiser 454 with Bravo I outdrives
Portage Canal Waterway-Upper Peninsula,Lake Superior
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

TinLizzy wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:44 pm I will be interested in seeing how the seakeeper works. Sounds like everyone loves them, everything except the price, quite steep. Good luck with the install.
It is installed and ready to go. Seakeeper should be out in the next month to commission it. Personally, I am hoping for such a beautiful season that I never even need to turn it on.
I bought a plow truck several years ago and it hasn't really snowed enough to use it since. Maybe it will be the same.
www.belowthegrade.com