Rebuilding a Kohler 7.5R23 genset

Things that are of general interest.
Dfisher32
New poster

Rebuilding a Kohler 7.5R23 genset

Post by Dfisher32 »

I'm trying to find parts and decide how much I should put into rebuilding a Kohler 7.5R23 genset. This genset was out of the boat when I bought it, hadn't been running for quite some time, and was siezed up. I don't plan on putting it back in the boat because it is way more than I need. I've been stripping it down to look at the internal condition and considering what I need to rebuild it. I think it still has life in it. Finding parts for this model has been a challenge--wondering how far I should go to rebuild it to sell. I'm a USCG licensed Chief Engineer, so I'm not bothered by doing a full rebuild. Thoughts?
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Re: Rebuilding a Kohler 7.5R23 genset

Post by Fastjeff »

You might consider a low cost "Honda" (or whatever) generator stored on the cockpit deck but run on the swim platform. Granted, not the solution you're looking for,but affordable.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Dfisher32
New poster

Post by Dfisher32 »

I’ve considered that option but going to try an inverter. I would like to sell the Kohler and get a little for it. I managed to get the engine moving without causing any damage. I’d like to do a basic rebuild to sell if worth the trouble. I see these units are still valuable if in decent running condition.
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

If you want to go the battery/ inverter route, I'd strongly suggest you do NOT go with lead acid batteries. The lithium-ion type--although expensive--have many times the storage capacity.

For example... With 4 deep discharge batteries on my old boat, I could watch TV all evening, power some lights, and keep the fridge going. But I often had to cut in another battery (the starboard starting battery) to brew my coffee! The lead acid batteries just don't have the capacity.

Good luck!

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

I agree with Jeff. LiFePo4 batteries are the way to go. You can get a 100Ah pre-made battery for under 500.00.
I opted to build my own. It's supposed to be portable but it's still hefty. Wanted something I could move between our 41'er and our fully tricked out popup camper. Mindset (a yittle warped?? 😁) was that if we weren't / aren't camping, the boat'll be on (dependable!?) Shore Power. And if on the boat, no need for power on a parked and stowed camper.
Of course, with the moniker (to my kids) "Overkill Bill" the battery has tons of bells and whistles packed into it:
- 280Ah LiFePo4 cells
- 200A Daly BMS
- charging capabilities from:
* shore / genny power
* alternator (via house battery)
* solar power (60a dc to DC charging unit)
- 200A ANL fuse

- all stored in Menards tool box case.

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

bcassedy wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:40 amI opted to build my own. It's supposed to be portable but it's still hefty. ..- all stored in Menards tool box case.Bill
Pictures, please, Bill
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Dfisher32
New poster

Post by Dfisher32 »

I have been shopping for batteries and have considered lithium-ion but would like to get as much "bang for my buck" as I can. If I were to power everything I estimated 1,000 Amp-hours. That's considering a significant pull from the water-cooled HVAC system, so I could do with less battery without that creature comfort--don't know if my fiance would agree, though!
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Got to keep the little woman happy!

Jeff
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

Will submit pics asap. Driving 10 hrs/day for Uber (pay increased bills/CC paymnts, but more impotantly, schtuff for boa & dock (rebuild) takes it out of ya. And building the 45' finger in 3 sections alone is also kinda daunting. ;)

Taking tomorrow (Thursday)"off" ( no drive / no dock&boat ). Will get pics submitted then.

Bill
Last edited by bcassedy on Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Dfisher32 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:51 am I have been shopping for batteries and have considered lithium-ion but would like to get as much "bang for my buck" as I can.
To power accessories including AC, fridge via an inverter, I don't think yhou need to go to the expense of (otherwise fine) LI batteries. Some good deep cycle batteries will be fine - they have a good track record (just not for starting engines). They can be drawn down to almost zero without harm (starter batteries will suffer when drawn so far down). Tied together, you'll get lots of juice for overnighting and you can charge them up with either genset or engine the next day. Best of luck as you work it all out
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD