26' 1966 Restore - Table stains and plastic "wood" original?

Fresh & Waste Water Systems, Climate Control, etc.
Spotato
New poster

26' 1966 Restore - Table stains and plastic "wood" original?

Post by Spotato »

Hi Big M community,
Big fan of the forum and community, first time poster,

I'm cleaning and restoring a (new to me) 1966 26' F/B and had a couple of amateur questions if you would humor me :)

1. There is a thick layer of table staining and grunge on the tabletops, all the tops appear original which I'd like to keep nice if possible.
I've had 0 luck getting these red stains off and some of the thicker grunge, any recommendations that would help clean w/o damaging the tabletop?
I've used water, soap, elbow grease, but a little scared to jump to any solution to harsh and damage the tables.
(pic)
Table.jpg
2. (Amateur Marinette question) I've found a few sections that have this redish plastic "wood" on the outside and inside. Does anyone know if this is original? Same as above, I'd like to keep as much original as possible where it makes sense.(pic)
Door (2).jpg
Thanks in advance for any guidance!
Happy to answer any questions,
- Austin -
TBD
1966 - 26' F/B Express
Lake Lanier, GA
First BigM
Rockit
Aluminum Star

Re: 26' 1966 Restore - Table stains and plastic "wood" original?

Post by Rockit »

Love it! '66 26!

Those tops look like Formica--or at least they were in mine--so I'd start with their recommendations: https://www.formica.com/en-us/articles/ ... mendations

When I did my '28 I measured carefully and had my local cabinet shop cut some pieces of Formica that I glued to the old tops. They fit perfectly and held up well.

The pink stuff looks like a pink version of the grass-cloth-like material that covered the bulkheads on my 28. The plywood bulkhead was intact so I stripped the wallpaper-like stuff off and glued/screwed plastic wainscoting in place. I suppose someone someplace has some version of that old covering if you really want it to be stock, but after almost 60 years I think we're entitled to a few modifications. You also have some teak to strip and re-finish. It's a project, but one I enjoyed. I hope you do too.

Good luck.
Joe Napoli
1977 28' Express
Twin raw water cooled 318s
Beaver River--near mile 25 on the Ohio
Spotato
New poster

Re: 26' 1966 Restore - Table stains and plastic "wood" original?

Post by Spotato »

Those tops could be in for some new Formica, appreciate the insight!

For the pink stuff, it's more of a PlasTeak type plastic wood than the cloth material that's on the walls inside.
Not sure if it's original or made it's way on the boat along the way, we'll see how it shakes out as it's down the list!

That wood's been through cleaning and oiling, still a few more levels to go, will try and post a completed pic when they're looking pretty.
It was white-grey to begin with, coming a long way and she'll get there (enjoying it too!)

Thanks,
- Austin -
TBD
1966 - 26' F/B Express
Lake Lanier, GA
First BigM