HOW TO: Much Better Ignition Wires Chrylser 318s and 360s (Fastjeff Page)

Things that are of general interest.
jtalberts
Aluminum Star

HOW TO: Much Better Ignition Wires Chrylser 318s and 360s (Fastjeff Page)

Post by jtalberts »

Much Better Ignition Wires (for Chrysler 318s and 360s):
Instead of jamming the stock wires between the valve cover and exhaust manifolds--and having them short to ground, or get installed on the wrong plug by confusion--you can use wires that go around the manifolds. I used Aqua Power (Morse) # 3038 wires for a big block Chevy. These wires will fit the distributor, and are the right length. (Chrysler 440 V-8 wires won't work.) If you can find Big Block Chevy wires with 90 degree plug ends, however, they will work much better.

1973 Marinette Seacrest Executive
41x14
Twin Chrysler 340's with Velvet Drive 71C
"Figment"
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: HOW TO: Much Better Ignition Wires Chrylser 318s and 360s (Fastjeff Page)

Post by javalin390 »

The wire set used here, was it for a big Chevy Mercruiser, or another Chevy set up? Mine is a 1975, and the manifolds are a bit different. Straight plug boots will not fit under my manifolds, I found out after trying Sierra wires.
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

I had to (eventually) go to after market angled ends. I cut off the straight ends and crimped on the angled ones.

The wires are for a Big Block Chevy (454). if you can find a set with angled ends you'll be all set. The distributor ends are the same.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
SolomonsDrake
Tin star

Post by SolomonsDrake »

Reviving an old thread here, but I've been trying to find Chevy 454 spark plug wires to go around the outside of my 318 exhaust manifolds and continue to be unsuccessful. I can't find the Aqua Power/Morse 3038 set available for sale online, and all of my other efforts (Napa, Advance Auto) end up with wires that are too short. Can someone please tell me what brand and part number I should be looking for? I'd be happy to get them from an auto parts store or buy them online.

Thanks!

Tim
Voyager
1977 32' Sedan Flybridge
Twin Chrysler 318s
Chesapeake Bay
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

You might consider make-it-yourself wire sets where you cut each wire individually and add the appropriate ends.

Summit or Jegs sell these kits (and maybe Advance, Autozone NAPA etc.) You'll need a good crimper for the ends.

Good luck!

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington