Gas tank leak

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
wschneid
Tin star

Gas tank leak

Post by wschneid »

I have a 76 32' fly bridge Sedan with the original fuel tanks. I am fairly sure I have a leak in my starboard tank. I smell gas throughout the boat and I noticed after we docked our boat, that over the months, the starboard fuel gauge reads lower and lower. I cannot see any dripping, but feeling the lower inboard corner of the starboard tank, I feel moisture. It doesn't smell like gas, feels a little oily.

Question 1. Is there a easy way to detect a leak in the installed tank?

Question 2. Will aluminum tanks corrode?

Question 3. How would you remove the tank on my boat?

Bill Schneider
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Re: Gas tank leak

Post by Fastjeff »

1. Before doing all that, take a careful look at the gasket where the level sender unit goes. Try tightening the screws a tiny bit (don't snap them off!) and see if that helps. I had a leak there once.

Very difficult to spot a gas leak unless it's really obvious. Try dabbing any area your suspect with a fresh slice of bread. Bag it immediately, go somewhere else, and then sniff test it ten minutes later (when you're not still smelling gas fumes). Ask the wife to do it, 'cause if there's gas stink there... You know.

2. That damn ethanol gas can ruin anything!

3. Nightmare! The aft cockpit deck has to come out, along with sawzalling a few floor beams.

Good luck!

Jeff

“Let’s go Brandon!”
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
wschneid
Tin star

Post by wschneid »

Thanks for the reply, disappointing as it may be.

Bill Schneider
brokebill
Tin star

Post by brokebill »

I found that the tanks will corrode on the bottom. What ever they are sitting on will hold moisture between the tank and the rubber strip or wood or what ever. Empty it out, loosen it's bindings and check underneath for pitting.
Good luck
Bill Melke
Dayton, Ohio
28' Sedan Restoration
On the hard in Constance KY.
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by javalin390 »

All above info good. Yes, Al will corrode. My 37' has dual freshwater tanks that have leeched thru. Water, sludge and gunk in the bottom of the fuel tanks will do this too.
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio