CW rotation Build

Leviathon
Aluminum Star

CW rotation Build

Post by Leviathon »

Could you build a more modern CW rotation engine? Would like a 1 Piece rear main seal. I know they offer newer reman CW rotation engines -but could you do it yourself?
Steve and Mary Levi
1973 32' Marinette Fisherman
SBC Crusaders
El Ohssa
St. Joseph, Michigan
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Re: CW rotation Build

Post by Fastjeff »

First of all, the pistons go in backasswards: the 'F' points to the rear. Never messed with the rear main seal, but I've read it has to be different somehow. Other than that, and the special camshaft, the rest of the parts are standard (even the water pump).

You set the distributor up the same way except that the firing order runs around the cap in the opposite direction. (Special gearing on the camshaft spins the distributor and oil pump in the same direction as the standard rotation motors.) And, of course, the starter spins the opposite way as well.

Good luck!

Jeff

“Let’s go Brandon!”
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Leviathon
Aluminum Star

Post by Leviathon »

Was hoping to hear from you FJ. Hope you are well! The only thing I am unsure of is the oiling holes in the crank seem to be drilled at an angle. Won't that affect they potential to lube journals? But I do not see a separate number for a reverse rotation crankshaft, and I know remanufaturers are making CW rotation builds. Also, heard you can just swap banks with pistons to achieve pin offset as opposed to moving them on existing rods. It does show there is a seal front and back for a reverse rotation engine.
Steve and Mary Levi
1973 32' Marinette Fisherman
SBC Crusaders
El Ohssa
St. Joseph, Michigan
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

The cranks are identical! The rods go in either way so the pistons can face the rear.

Still not sure about the main seals. I HEARD they are different in some way but not how. Sorry.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Harryb
Tin star

Post by Harryb »

BigM
1987 32 f/b sedan with twin 318's Docked on florida's nature coast
Harryb
Tin star

Post by Harryb »

There was talk that CW motors had the knurled spaces the seals rides on machined to sling oil inward to help with leaks. Harry
barefoot99
Tin star

Post by barefoot99 »

Harry is correct. The CW crank has the knurling at the main seal opposite of CCW to push the oil in the proper direction. Other than that, they are the same.
SUP !
1982 32 Sedan FB
2269 hrs
360's-Edelbrocks, DUI
Raw water cooled
Norris Lake
Speedwell,TN.
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Uh-oh! Not sure how you can get around that.

Jeff
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bill »

BigM
Steve,
:idea:
Lakeland Auto and Marine in Port Clinton Ohio just posted a Facebook video about this subject. ;)
His name is Chris Hamm I believe. Very knowable on Chrysler Marine engines. :geek:
bill
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

I guess you'll need to score a reverse rotator crank?

Jeff