Pertronix distributors

A/C & D/C Wiring, GPS, Radios, etc.
MissConduct
New poster

Pertronix distributors

Post by MissConduct »

Just purchased an 82 32 sedan. Previous owner told me he put Petronix distributors in 2019. Could not water test boat before I purchased. Finally got in the water and having lots of backfiring through the carb. Have rebuilt carbs, put new wires, plugs, cap and rotor. I am down to thinking he left too much of the old ignition system in place. Ballast resistor still hooked up as well as brain box. Any advice on what needs to be left. I believe both could be eliminated besides maybe tach wire. Thoughts?
Jamey
1975 28 Express w318s
1982 32 Sedan FB w360s
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Re: Pertronix distributors

Post by Fastjeff »

Before you start changing things, make sure the plug wires are going to the right plugs. Seriously! The way the wire dive between the manifolds and heads makes it easy to cross a few wires. An insurance company mech playing with mine did that and it took me a while to straight his damn mess out!

Here's the best way to do it: Warm the motor up. With insulated gloves, remove one wire at a time from the distributor cap. If the motor slows, put it back. If it does not, leave it out and keep pulling wires. If you find a second wire doing the same thing, swap the two wires.

Let's hope that's all that's wrong here.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
MissConduct
New poster

Post by MissConduct »

Thanks, Jeff. I have checked that several times and am sure I am all good. Last night I removed the all the old ignition parts (ballast resistor, brain box). Timing was off. Had to advance it about 2 or 3 deg to get the backfire eliminated. Seems to running good now. Few more lake tests this weekend to be sure🤞🤞.
Jamey
1975 28 Express w318s
1982 32 Sedan FB w360s
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Good deal!

Have a fun trip.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
barkleydave
Site Admin

Post by barkleydave »

I was very fortunate and was supplied two complete Pertronix Dist. to test for the Company. I have now completed the tests on my 8th season.
1. Use none of the OEM parts.

1. Pertronix Dist
2. Pertronix Coil 0.6 ohm (very important)
3. No Ballast Resistor
They also offer lighter advance springs if you want a faster advance.

Been totally reliable and very hot spark!

I have had to replace 1 rotor and we changed out the caps when they modified the cap and rotors.
This season I changed a cap and rotor on one engine which had some corrosion and good to go.
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain
BlueSkye
Aluminum Star

Post by BlueSkye »

I've been using the Pertronix for six years or so. I clean the brass posts in the cap with a little wire wheel in a Dremel. I have significantly less trouble with the newer caps.
1971 32ft Express 2x318
Seneca Lake, Erie Canal, Lake Ontario, Rideau