32 on a lift

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
garycarroll
Tin star

32 on a lift

Post by garycarroll »

I have a lift installed and the 32 flybridge is up out of the nasty salt water. However, the bunks are not quite right. The boat is resting on its keel on the cradle cross members, and is tipped very slightly to port so about ten feet of hull is in contact with port bunk, starting just forward of where the shafts emerge from the hull and going forward. There are about 6 feet of port bunk towards the bow that touch nothing. The starboard bunk touches nothing, with about 5 inches between the hull and bunk for the rear ten feet and of course more of a gap towards the bow.
I was thinking of adding wood to the bunks to lift the keel off the cross members, supporting the boat along the bottom of the hull. This would need about 3.5 inches of wood for the rear ten feet of each bunk, more towards the bow.
But... A friend and relation who used to work on big ships told me that larger ships are generally supported by the keel and only balanced by hull supports on the sides. This is not a large ship, but it's not a fiberglass small boat, either, and seems to have more in common with a large ship as regards construction. Should I add pads on the cross members to support the keel, and just enough wood to the bunks to keep the boat straight and level? Or do as I initially planned and lift it off the keel using the bunks?
1979 32' Sedan Cruiser Flybridge, "Extended Play"
Dual 350 Crusader, carbureted with closed freshwater cooling
Westerbeke gasoline marine generator
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: 32 on a lift

Post by bill »

BigM
The correct answer is your second to last sentence. :D

You wrote:
Should I add pads on the cross members to support the keel, and just enough wood to the bunks to keep the boat straight and level?

You want to support your Marinette with most of the weight on the knell.
Especial the part under the engine or engines.
bill
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill