Propeller Shaft Anodes

jralbert
Site Admin

Re: Propeller Shaft Anodes

Post by jralbert »

Theoretically, there should be no need for shaft anodes if the shafts are properly isolated inside the boat. But I always kept one on each shaft because I was never sure of the isolation. I probably overworried because the anodes never wore down. If I were still boating, I'd keep them - hjust in case- There is no downside to doing so.

BTW, I still have a pair (I think) and would make them avail for half the West Marine price + shipping. 1 1/4" dia
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
JoeGer
Tin star

Post by JoeGer »

Both of my shaft anodes are free spinning and not in good contact. It will be my 4th year on the water so it’s time to replace them all. 2 QUESTIONS!!
1. Rundown of all mags I need for my 28’ with twins
-shaft 1” (2), trim tabs (2), keel 30” (2) , rudders?
2. The shaft anodes look they will require force to remove. Should I drill the bolts out? The bolt heads seem unsalvagable. Other ones may also require some force to remove. Tips or suggestions are welcome!!
1984 28’ Sedan Fly-bridge
Twin 318
Lower Detroit River, USA
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

If those shaft anodes are in otherwise good shape, you can firmly attach by drilling hole in them and running stainless bolt to lock them onto shaft. See my note above on shaft zinc avail if you need to replace.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD