RUb Rails

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
sckaras

RUb Rails

Post by sckaras »

Restoring 1985 Sportsman
Anybody have any input to restoring rub rails or source for new / old replacement
also when took off there was a material between rub rail and boat any ideas what it was
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: RUb Rails

Post by bill »

BigM
The rub rails are extrusions. ;) They can be cleaned up. File, sand and buff.
The material under the rub rail was a plastic drip edge. :shock: It was installed to keep the run off water from the deck that causes black streaks on the hull. :cry:
bill
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

"...a plastic drip edge. :shock: It was installed to keep the run off water from the deck that causes black streaks on the hull...."
(in case no one noticed...shhh... it didn't do a great job of warding off black streaks though who knows how much worse it would be without them)
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
ddependo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by ddependo »

When I have my "M" pulled I go over them with a right angle sander with fine paper to dress them up. I would worry about getting out all the screws without breaking and opening a new can of worms. I use the lock system on the Tennessee river often and they get scratched often there.
Wayne
1973 32 express fly bridge
Chattanooga
"Southern Lady"
sckaras

Post by sckaras »

thank you for the heads up they are coming out very nice, very slow but nice
so now for the next stupid question as we reassemble I am confused about the proper choice for any bolts
stainless and aluminum don't go together well...but it seems all the bolts, screws, etc... we took out were stainless
any recommendations
GB49
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by GB49 »

Stainless screws & bolts are correct. The key is to keep moisture away from the area where those 2 metals touch. If I were to go through another repaint job I would caulk every single screw hole with 4200 and make sure any areas that get wet can drain IE. under the bow rail mounts. The weep holes on the those mounts clog very easily and water fills up inside. You essentially have a battery on each mount which will lead to blistering.
1986 Sedan 32'. Twin Chrysler 360in^3, 275hp.
Forum member since 1998.