Bare Bottom?

GregM
Tin star

Bare Bottom?

Post by GregM »

I found that I need to add some bottom paint to my 32 this afternoon. When talking to the marina owner he informed me the 32 that has been in the water for 30 years had a bare aluminum bottom. He said the guy had it stripped thinking the electrolysis spots are due to pin hole openings in the paint allowing the electric to focus on small spots instead of spreading out over an unpainted hull. Do you guys think there is any truth in that? Doesn't the coast guard run bare? Also I am thinking of going coal tar epoxy with the next round of bottom paint. That ablative stuff wears off way to fast and is very expensive. I am in the Ohio river so no salt issues, just muddy water.
GB49
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Bare Bottom?

Post by GB49 »

Bottom paint is primarily for keeping the growth away from the hull. Paint or no paint you should be protected with anodes and proper DC & AC grounding. Also make sure your shore cords and your neighbor shore cords are healthy. I had a neighbor 2 boats down cause my galvanic isolator to buzz. Found out his plug was blackened/melted, putting voltage to the ground.

Never used coal tar but the ablative paint wears off on purpose.
1986 Sedan 32'. Twin Chrysler 360in^3, 275hp.
Forum member since 1998.
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

""...Paint or no paint you should be protected with anodes and proper DC & AC grounding. ..." Amen to that

Painting well will save you money. A cruddy bottom will make the engine work harder to maintain speed and that means fewer mpg. Get the appropriate paint with anti-fouling properties. Lots of past threads here on what's best
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

..."Bare Bottom". I resisted, I resisted!

It all depends on where you boat. On interior lakes, especially in the South, people get away without A/F paint, but not where I boated! Even with a yearly coat of Trilux the boat would be covered with barnacles--one year--and a green slime the next, unless we took it out every week to rub it off at speed.

One time I left the boat unused for a few weeks, and it was mess: needing more throttle to maintain cruise speed, and it was logy and vibrating. Got so bad I intended to do something about it since we were on a trip at the time and this was lousing it up.

Anchoring in shallow water, I took my 1 1/2 inch putty knife and scraped the ENTIRE bottom of a 32 boat! It took an hour plus, and I swallowed a bunch of water doing it, but the boat was back!

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

Jeff,

I'm guessing your anchorage to clean/scrape the bottom was in fairly stable conditions (no / minimal muck).

Starting a new thread on bottom cleaning processes used by members.

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Dead calm water (Still Pond Creek) with a nice sandy bottom. Still, it was a dog of a job!

At the end of the season all boats hauled out at my marina got pressure washed.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Bryank97
Tin star

Post by Bryank97 »

Pluckebaum Custom Boats, also aluminum only paints around the sides just for looks. The bottoms are bare aluminum unless the boats were expected to be in salt water. Also Coal Tar epoxy is extremely durable and will probably be my choice when my paint starts looking thin. I see no issues leaving them bare, maybe just a little slime/growth
1988 Marinette 32 Sedan
Erie, PA
Twin 318 Chryslers 240HP