No Fire

legendlc
Aluminum Star

Re: No Fire

Post by legendlc »

Folks, thanks so much for all of the responses. I assumed that since the solenoid passed the click test it was good. I was wondering overnight if the starter could be going bad and just pulling to much power during cranking? I cleaned all connections on solenoid last week and checked voltage on the "i" post and it was okay and i also checked the "s" post yesterday during cranking and saw the same massive drop in voltage when cranking.
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

..."i also checked the "s" post yesterday during cranking and saw the same massive drop in voltage when cranking."

The one to the coil (the "I" terminal?) should NOT drop more than a volt or so. There's a brass contact inside the solenoid that is corroded and causing this. I suggest replacing it, if possible, and disassembling and cleaning it if not.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Post by legendlc »

will take the advise and replace it. you guys are a wealth of knowledge and all over other various forums i see Jeff's contributions. I have your old webpage saved and refer to it and have many things on my wish list of to-do's. I have made a decision to convert over to the GM HEI style ignition. I just grabbed the coil, module etc today. I agree i still have a bad solenoid but i feel like my wiring is not in the best shape I am finding massive amounts of electrical tape and splices all over the harness plus lots of the wiring is cracking and falling apart etc. I am hoping this along with the new solenoid will get me some sparks so I can then go about trying to set timing as mentioned on earlier post etc. I am making notes of all of this info and on many other post and hope to pass it along one day as well as you folks are to me.
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY
barefoot99
Tin star

Post by barefoot99 »

I run the DUI (Davis Unified Ignition) in my boat on small blocks. The big distributor fits fine. On my 70 Fury street car, 383 I run the other style with a module and remote coil so it fits against the valve cover. Starts are simple and have been very reliable over the years. May need to make sure the distributors are set up for marine use. The stock Chrysler systems are fine,I had other issues that made me change. Mopar nut since the beginning!
:D
SUP !
1982 32 Sedan FB
2269 hrs
360's-Edelbrocks, DUI
Raw water cooled
Norris Lake
Speedwell,TN.
Lincolncruiser95

Post by Lincolncruiser95 »

Yes, if in doubt replace wires. You can never tell what is going on and what sort of job previous owners and mechanics did to introduce corrosion and high resistance. If you start fresh, then you know what you are working with. Stranded wire is cheap and when your choice is that or chasing your tail around for days. New connectors and new wire you've eliminated a whole set of unknowns.
C & K Johnson
1980 32 Sedan
Twin 360's "Pour Choices"
SE Michigan
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Post by legendlc »

I bit the bullet and am in the process of switching over to the GM HEI style set up. I do not think this would solve any of my issues but it was close to the same price as replacing parts on the old Chrysler ignition system and I had points at the parts store so I was able to get the module, coil, coil to dist wire, and a relay for aroun $70. I added a relay that is powered straight from the battery and gets the signal to close the ignition circuit and send power to coil from the "I" post of the solenoid. I have this all wired up and I am getting the same voltage to the coil as the battery reads. This is a first for me so far. I could have gotten this with the Chrysler set up and adding the relay but since I was already going to be replacing wires I figured I would take the plunge. I hope to get the new HEI module and coil mounted and hooked up tomorrow. Then if all goes well and the boat gods are in my favor I can finally get a spark from my plugs. Then it's back to seeing if timing is correct etc. I hope I don't have starters going bad they seem slow to me but sound okay.
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Post by legendlc »

Okay, no HEI system temporarily hooked up and I have a nice blue/white spark from my freshly gapped to .045 plugs. Finally thank goodness and thank you to everyone and all of their help and comments. I cranked on her for a while but I'm still not getting any attempts at starting. At least I know I have fire now. I was using a can of starting fluid so I was hoping to get at least a attempt to start but I need to recheck my dizzy to see if I am 180 degrees off etc. My starter seems really slow so maybe I'm just not getting enough speed on cranking.
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

If it didn't backfire and/ or fight the starter, it's probably not 180 degrees out--it's probably retarded a bunch.

You need to get her spinning over good. On Merc OB starters, I 'rebuild' them by lubing the bushings and shining up the commutator with fine sandpaper. Makes a huge difference and costs nothing (I'm a cheapskate!)

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Busia »

If you are 180 degrees out, you will be firing on the exhaust stroke. It won't do anything. Find #1 cylinder, put it on the compression stroke, turn in the direction the engine runs to the firing mark. (about 8 degrees before top dead center ) LEAVE IT THERE ! Look at where the rotor points. Is it pointing right at a plug wire? If not, remove the distributor and turn it one tooth. Make it point right at a wire when it fires. That is #1. Know which way the distributor turns and the firing order for that engine. Install all the other wires.
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Post by legendlc »

I like the starter idea Jeff. I'll give that a shot. Yea so far it's not trying to do anything but crank. I know I'm spraying at least 12 year old gas into the carb even though I'm hitting it with a little starting fluid. I think I'll try to find TDC again. I haven't taken the dizzy out since I think I found it.
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY