Priming engine oil

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Re: Priming engine oil

Post by legendlc »

Everything I have found says the rotation is CCW. I was looking at the remote mount mechanism and trying to come up with a way to add a tee that would allow me to add compressed air or to do something that would allow me to circulate it somehow. The PO installed a electric pump to extract oil from both engines and the Gen. It is pretty sweet it pulls from the bottom of the drain pan into a manifold system with valves to open the different lines. I am thinking of using the same pump to somehow push oil to the long hoses going to and from the oil pump to the remote filters. This should allow me to circulate the oil through the engine or at least move oil to the oil pump before startup. Inputs on if this is the right track of thought would be great to hear.
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Post by legendlc »

Looking at the boat today and just thinking here but not sure which path to go down. Would it be better to use the external oil change pump to push oil back to the remote filter, the return line from the filter to the engine mounted oil pump, or step the line down and tee the oil sending unit line and pump oil back into the engine at this point?
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Busia »

I would pull all the plugs (determine if you want new ones ) and then squirt some oil into each cylinder. Then suck oil from the oil pan and push it back into the engine through the return line from the filter. Put something under the filter to catch any leaks. The oil pressure sender port will be more restricted. When you think you have oil going through the passages, I would turn the engine over by hand. Use a socket and ratchet on the end of the crankshaft. When it turns easily I would spin it over with the starter. Make sure you have oil coming from the pump to the filter before you put it all back together. Might be easier to just pull the filter and get it out of your way. If the oil is not clean, put in new oil. Change it after you run the engine for awhile. Don't worry about getting dirty, it's just clean oil. Have lots of rags and paper towels. Oil is cheap, change it all the time. Good luck!
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Post by legendlc »

Thanks everyone for the replies. The engine I was working on which is the one that had a blown head gasket finally started pumping today. I removed both lines going to the remote oil filter and slowly filled both with oil. Enlisted the help of my dad and rotated the crank by hand while the other spun the drill over. Finally after a few minutes we had oil running on the rockers. She sounded a little rough at first but did smooth out a little. It has been sitting 10+ years with antifreeze in two cylinders at least. When I first broke it free it was pretty rough as well but did smooth out a little. I'm hoping one she is running it will smooth out some degree better. One more engine to go on priming but I think I have it figured out now. Once again thanks everyone.
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY