Pulpit Restoration

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
jralbert
Site Admin

Re: Pulpit Restoration

Post by jralbert »

No trick. I can't see either and it looks like Carl or someone else may have removed the content of his post but not the post itself. A puzzlement

((Looking back..it appears that Carl edited the post some months after putting up the original and may have deleted content at that time))
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Robert
New poster

Post by Robert »

I can't see any of his post and they are all things I want to work on. All I see is a yellow M. Other people respond though.
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by javalin390 »

Same here, Carl is now invisible.
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Why the responses to a non-displaying image? Simple: the responses were made while the images were still visible. Then, at some point in the spring, someone, probably Carl, edited the posts to make the images unseeable. The mystery remains - why?
-joel-
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
EdTessmacher
New poster

Post by EdTessmacher »

jralbert wrote:Why the responses to a non-displaying image? Simple: the responses were made while the images were still visible. Then, at some point in the spring, someone, probably Carl, edited the posts to make the images unseeable. The mystery remains - why?
I'm too new here to have any credibility or importance, but in the several forums that I've been moderator, administrator, and owner of, it's considered poor netiquette for someone to delete posts like that and leave no content in the threads. It's grounds for total removal. If there's no content from which to benefit, and it's clear that the OP wanted the content removed, the admins should just delete all the threads along with the profile, to avoid confusion, consternation, and clutter.

There's nothing there, so why keep the placeholder?
TinLizzy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by TinLizzy »

Carl is/was a valuable member of this forum. He did an amazing job of fixing up his boat. I don't know why he left or deleted his content. Let's just hope that he feels compelled to come back and share his knowledge.
Rodney
1975 28 Express-Twin 350 Chevy's, SOLD
1990 32 Express--Twin Mercruiser 454 with Bravo I outdrives
Portage Canal Waterway-Upper Peninsula,Lake Superior
EdTessmacher
New poster

Post by EdTessmacher »

TinLizzy wrote:Carl is/was a valuable member of this forum. He did an amazing job of fixing up his boat. I don't know why he left or deleted his content. Let's just hope that he feels compelled to come back and share his knowledge.
As a relatively inexperienced observer, I have to disagree with you. Neither I, nor anyone else who has come on the forum since he left knows anything about what kind of a "job" he did to his boat. His "content" is nonexistent, and therefore has zero value. He might well be "well respected" but that respect clearly goes one way only. If he had any respect for everyone else, he wouldn't have deleted all his content, and then replaced it with an BigM . If he had any respect for anyone else, he would have left his content up, and available for all to learn from.

It goes without saying that expressing that unpopular and potentially inflammatory opinion is going to get me criticism, but it is still true, and is the elephant in the room. I for one was okay with not registering, continuing to lurk, and learning everything I could from posts on the forum. The main reason I registered was in the hopes that that symbol meant that it was information only available to members. Turns out, it is only available to the person who deleted it, and benefits no one else.

Further, since he apparently left no explanation, no reason, or no qualifications of the reason why he left, it is clear that he intended to prevent anyone else from benefiting from his experience, and didn't care a bit about the value of the information on the forum, or it's benefit to the people belonging to the forum. Else, he would have said why he was going home and taking his ball with him.

We may not like it, but that is what it is.
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

I'll repeat what TinLizzy wrote: Carl was and still is a valued contributor to the forum and your rather nasty assessment doesn't change that. You don't have a clue why Carl's material disappeared, nor do we. There may be a technical reason why it did..or maybe some other explanation..but it doesn't matter. It's good enough for me that it simply disappeared with absolutely no harm to anyone except for a tiny dent in someone's curiosity.

It costs you nothing to get the valuable info spread on site..info that you concede you soaked in but contributed nothing while lurking (Even a query is valuable for it stimulates discussion that might lead to solutions). Your sense of entitlement is appalling.

As one of the longest (maybe the longest) member of the board tracing back two or three web sites over a span of more than 20 years, I can say without worry about being contradicted the post that went up in your name (could it have been forged) is the most strident and unwarranted ever. I understand you'll be offended at this post and I suppose I'd be wiser to let you make a spectacle without comment, but I couldn't resist - it's been that kind of month.

This post will disappear when my blood pressure subsides. In the meantime, a wave at the 99.9% of positive contributors here
-joel-
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

Joel,

Well put!!
My request... Don't take your entry down. It speaks well of you and the vast majority of members.

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Busia »

Computers? We don't know what we're doing. Us buncha old farts are doing good just to be able to post a picture here.
Where is the ANY button ?
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P