Engine, genny, A/C flushing

Things that are of general interest.
shade2u2
Royal Aluminum Star

Engine, genny, A/C flushing

Post by shade2u2 »

What do you flush with? and not that... lol

We dock on a river off of the Ohio that has a lot of mucky/silty/clay in it during rainy periods.

I need to flush my twin 454 fresh water cooled engines and Kohler genny. What product and method would you recommend?

I flushed my A/C systems with fresh water and installed a new strainer & filter this summer. I also need to flush it. What product and method would you recommend?

Any hints or suggestions would be appreciated.

I've heard of folks using the following as a descaler but wanted some first hand experience of cost effective options for crud...
Barnacle Buster (phosphoric acid)
RidLyme (Hydrochloric acid )
Etch and Prep (also phosphoric acid)
Bromine tablets in strainer
Muriatic Acid (diluted)
Bright Bay Hammerhead Descaler
CLR
Heavy duty D-Scale
John
1986 39 Sedan w/Crusader 454 & 1.92 drive.
former - '84 28 Express Hardtop w/single 360 1.5:1 drive (SOLD - now in Uruguay)
Ohio and Muskingum Rivers (Marietta, OH)
jralbert
Site Admin

Re: Engine, genny, A/C flushing

Post by jralbert »

Descaling aside for a moment (I never did that so don' t have expertise) - you may want to periodically close the intakes and run fresh water via your dock hose thru all the strainers for a few minutes. That should keep them pretty free from river silt
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Post by legendlc »

Not exactly the same question but relevant enough I think. I have twin Chrysler 440's with closed cooling but was wondering if there were recommendations for start up I am assuming the exhaust water passages are somewhat rusty etc? It was winterized when pulled from the water 10 years ago but no idea if exhaust was drained etc. Just trying to avoid overheating issues when trying to start engines next spring while also avoiding pulling and replacing exhaust etc. You know of any magic rust remover to flush through the systems lol :D :D
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY
shade2u2
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by shade2u2 »

jralbert wrote:Descaling aside for a moment (I never did that so don' t have expertise) - you may want to periodically close the intakes and run fresh water via your dock hose thru all the strainers for a few minutes. That should keep them pretty free from river silt
Good idea. I hope to install a flush valve to make this easier.
John
1986 39 Sedan w/Crusader 454 & 1.92 drive.
former - '84 28 Express Hardtop w/single 360 1.5:1 drive (SOLD - now in Uruguay)
Ohio and Muskingum Rivers (Marietta, OH)
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

I believe Groco makes a valve fitting to make hose hookup quick and easy
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD