Stumped - Fuel Delivery Issue

fpc310
Tin star

Re: Stumped - Fuel Delivery Issue

Post by fpc310 »

I have a Sierra screw on style fuel filter. The Perko has been removed just to rule that out. Thanks for the suggestions from everyone. I finished off my already dying starter in this process, so it’s getting rebuilt / replaced now. I’ll try some of the recommendations next week.
Todd
1983 32’ SedanFlybridge
Twin 318 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
Wardog
New poster

Post by Wardog »

I couldn't tell from your question if you replaced fuel pump was electric or engine mounted..i was having almost the same issue. I switched to electric fuel pump always have fuel pumping thru fuel lines and separator as soon as you turn on key...good luck..i have 318s

Wardog
1968 marinette
318s 225hp
ALKINDA
GOOSEPOND
fpc310
Tin star

Post by fpc310 »

Ok. To close out this issue... the brand new Sierra mechanical fuel pump was shot after a couple hours of running. In the process of trying to start the motor, I fried the starter solenoid and possibly the battery too. Either way, I replace the solenoid with the spare, new fuel pump, checked the anti-siphon valve, all fuel lines, new filters. Also rebuilt the starter for $30 (thanks Lakeland auto in Port Clinton OH). The new pump is moving fuel nicely. I guess the moral of this story is to not run the starter for too long chasing a fuel issue. Also don’t trust new parts... they may fail faster than you think. Thanks for all of the advice.
Todd
1983 32’ SedanFlybridge
Twin 318 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

..."Also don’t trust new parts"

Right on, brother! I had a virtually new fuel pump start leaking like crazy--bad weld on the outlet fitting. Nearly lost everything (including our lives).

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington