Over-wintering boat - in water???

Things that are of general interest.
jralbert
Site Admin

Re: Over-wintering boat - in water???

Post by jralbert »

A question you may want to look into is what do your neighbors do for winter protection - the pix indicate they have sizeable docks and boats to secure
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Joe
Tin star

Post by Joe »

Hello, First is this in a marina?, Protected water? Buy the pic it looks to be the river bank. I keep mine in Louisville, In a protected marina, off the river. I can tell you from experience that the water will freeze from the shore out. Here in Louisville. in the winter the water will rise 10 to 15 feet. Their are a number of us that keep bubblers going when it get bad. When it gets "Bad" I will have about 3" of clearance around my boat. This is usually only a week or two. How dependable is your electric supply? Do you keep heat on the boat? If not, you will have to!. Expect a 50,00 to 100.00 a month electric bill. Joe
1988 sedan flybridge. Black / White. 318 240 hp Aluminum aft deck hard top. Louisville Ky . Tartans landing. " KNOCKEFELLERS"
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

..."Expect a 50,00 to 100.00 a month electric bill."

That on shore storage option is looking better and better!

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

Joel,
Some do pull their boats. Others leave them in.

Joe,
In the true sense of a "marina" definition, no. This is a backwater of the Ohio (ie, when the Ohio was dammed by the big dams in place of the multiple weir dams that dotted the Ohio, creeks backed up forming a lot of navigable areas). The owner of the new marina had land that bordered one of these creeks. He divided up 50' wide parcels to lease out, installed electric service mounted high up on platforms and ran water for each slip. Lessees provide their own docks. We bought the one that was already there.
Note - some lessees have not protected their slips with drivers and have paid dearly - docks upended and destroyed (they are also located at the end of the backwater where freezing may occur more quickly).
Also, because I hadn't thought of it (duh!!), having the electric will allow the boat to be heated which will help mitigate the mildew issue of years past!
Electric bill - will be interesting cost wise as I'll be using the timer/thermometer combo for the driver. Should only be scheduled to run several hours a day AND only when temps are low enough for ice formation. Being close to boat I can fine tune that.

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
Rob
Tin star

Post by Rob »

Thanks Joel, that's just an extra step I do besides the antifreeze. I've not used a bubbler. Also I shrink wrap with an access door to keep the snow out. We are off the Ohio River, 1 mile up the Little Miami. I've seen a few boats go down that didn't winterize correctly.
1973 32' FB Express
Cincinnati, Ohio
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

Rob,

In a word... OUCH!!!!

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
shade2u2
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by shade2u2 »

For us in the water over the winter, it was over $100 per month for electric for a couple of months.
We did not have a bubbler! We will if I do in again. We are pulling out this winter.
I had 5 damp-rids, a fan, 2 bilge heaters and 5 100W heat bulbs on most of the time. We had everything that I could sealed up.
These bilge heaters had thermostats:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ME ... UTF8&psc=1

edit* We also had one of these to dry & circulate air:
https://www.amazon.com/AMRD-1458-Davis- ... ome-garden
John
1986 39 Sedan w/Crusader 454 & 1.92 drive.
former - '84 28 Express Hardtop w/single 360 1.5:1 drive (SOLD - now in Uruguay)
Ohio and Muskingum Rivers (Marietta, OH)